Jag XJ13 Steering Rack Opinion

I ordered a RCR Jag xj13 in May of 2018 and picked it up in July of 2019 all parts except the steering rack. 27 months latter the rack arrives but is not what i was expecting. Pictures below 1) original SCF rack 2) another from a RCR kit 5 years ago 3) what i received I am no expert but feel uncomfortable with the amount of unsupported length that this makeshift rack has on one end.. Is this normally excepted practice to have a 12" extension on one side. Please share your thoughts. Steve
steering rack orig.JPG
Steering Rack Standard.jpg
DSC_0400.JPG
steering rack orig.JPG
DSC_0400.JPG
steering rack orig.JPG
DSC_0400.JPG

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Surely some parts are missing. The rack needs to be supported very close to the ends or it will flex all over and fail.. Call Fran Hall and see what they advise.

I wouldn't be using the rack in the photo that has the date stamped 09-09-20 on it. With that amount of Unsupported length the steering is going to feel very vague. You want a rack housing that is going to be stiff throughout its length to provide support to the rack. This will allow for more precision and consistent backlash on the rack at the pinion which will improve the feel and feedback at the wheel. It will also help minimizing flex on the unsupported section outboard of the mounts. Ideally the outboard bushings should be placed as wide apart as possible.

Ryan

It looks to me as if they're using a rack where the centre section is identical (ie with the splined section for the steering column) but the end layout changes allowing to easily swap between LHD, RHD or centre (ie single seater).

That tube on the right (ie the left in the photo) should extend far further and the clamp then hold it against the bulkhead.

I wonder if they've sent you a Steinard Formula Libre rack by mistake (it's a single seater F5000 homage they do for anyone not aware).

Back