Just bought an original MkII GT

Pedro

Supporter
I think Steve will be much more comfortable in his new GT. It is a shame about his CAV being stolen; Hope those bastards burn in hell.

Attachments

• 64154-Steve3.jpg
    64154-Steve3.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 371
Restored brake master cylinder back in the car, about to be hooked up and tested for leaks (ain't got no more leaks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Attachments

• 64473-restored_mc.jpg
    64473-restored_mc.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 331
Completed battery hold down. The lower blocks are 6061 aluminum & are helicoiled (actually I used Perma Coils). The top piece is magnesium, and seems to weigh about as much as a single of the lower blocks when you hold it in your hand. I don't have anything to weigh them for real.

Odyssey battery btw...

Attachments

• 64474-battery.jpg
    64474-battery.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 345
Someone was selling a front bumper on eBay, so I bought it. The new one even has the rubber bumpers...

Attachments

• 64475-bumpers.jpg
    64475-bumpers.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 323
I've been pretty busy so haven't had a chance to update this page lately. The car has been moved to a secret undisclosed location somewhere in the western United States, where I continue to work on it.

Attachments

• 70200-newshop.jpg
    70200-newshop.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 317
This shop has heat and room for all my tools so I can use my garage for its intended purpose again.

Attachments

• 70201-shop.jpg
    70201-shop.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 319
Engine bay as it looks now. I have actually started the car and run it for about 15 minutes. Haven't driven it yet, as the interior is still in need of a lot of work (like the seats are out of the car right now).

Attachments

• 70202-enginebay.jpg
    70202-enginebay.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 312
I got these Panasport wheels from Dave Bean. They were used and showing their age (clear coat peeling), so I had them refinished. Tires (185/70R13) are on order.

Attachments

• 70203-wheels.jpg
    70203-wheels.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 305
I decided not to try to save the old gas tank/sender when I found that a 12 gallon fuel cell is almost a perfect fit for the opening. Only had to nudge the corners of the opening ever so slightly to get it to fit.

Attachments

• 70204-fuelcell.jpg
    70204-fuelcell.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 325
I made a vent to fill the hole where the original filler cap was. Even though it's aluminum, it's kind of heavy for what it does. But it looks pretty cool.

Attachments

• 70205-vent.jpg
    70205-vent.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 315
Cover removed to show the nostrils. And I stuck some open cell foam in there as a filter.

Attachments

• 70206-ventinnards.jpg
    70206-ventinnards.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 323
Pulled a new aluminum fuel line. As you can see, the original clips are too small, so I had to make some new ones.

Attachments

• 70207-fuel-line.jpg
    70207-fuel-line.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 310
The fuel pump needed a little work. The little check valves (I call them heart valves) were sticking & preventing it from operating properly.

Attachments

• 70209-fuelpump.jpg
    70209-fuelpump.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 335
Steve,
Just my 2 cents worth, but aluminum tubing should not be used for fuel lines because it will work harden over time and rupture.

[ QUOTE ]
Steve,
Just my 2 cents worth, but aluminum tubing should not be used for fuel lines because it will work harden over time and rupture.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've heard this about copper brake lines, but where does the work hardening come in in this application? It's not under any substantial pressure, and is rigidly attached. There's a braided flex hose for the last foot or so between the filter and the fuel pump.

It's used in planes, in race cars - I don't think there is a problem here.

I am going by memory here, but it seems to me that when I installed a Holley projection system a few years back that the instructions were very specific about using steel tubing and not to use aluminum tubing. Cars vibrate and things move around, including fuel lines. The aluminum is soft and can easily wear through over time if it rubs against something. Use steel brake line tubing and flare connections. When you add hose at the ends the tube needs a rolled bead so the hose and clamp cannot slip off.

Hmmm. I'm not familiar with that Holley system, but if it is injected (and from the name, it sounds like it might be), I could see that there could be a problem because of the higher pressures. And if the pump is in the tank, I could see a problem. I think the failure modes in my system are not so bad, assuming the line were to fail. Since the pump is on the engine, a broken line would be like drinking through a straw with a hole in it, and the engine would likely just die. If the hole was below the tank, it would leak gasoline but wouldn't spew it because there is no pump pushing it from the tank. A leak above the fuel tank really wouldn't leak at all I don't think - the fuel in the line should just drain back into the tank.

btw, all of the connections are AN- fittings. No clamps. Body flex would seem to be the only thing that would put stress on the tubing. Plus, the line is plenty cheap and easy to route, so can be changed every two years or so whether it needs it or not just to be safe. I don't think there's a problem...

Corrosion is also an issue. It's your car and just my opinion. Anyway, good luck on the build!

Yes, it's my car, but I don't want it going up in flames /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamed.gif

Did some checking, and it looks like the recommended clamps are Adel (MS21919) insulated (w/rubber/neoprene/something like that) rather than solid metal clamps. So i'm going to ditch the ones I made & get some of the recommended clamps...

Back