Just bought an original MkII GT

Malcom,
I have a 711M block in my Elan, to give a longer stroke and larger capacity. Over here 711M's aren't worth so much. I have two "L" blocks and original weber T/C head in my shed that ARE worth a lot here.

Speaking of Fords with Lotus T/C engines. I had a Mk1 Twincam Esky. One helluva car! I really regret selling it.

First snag. I removed the header to take it to HPC for coating, and this is how it came out.

Attachments

• 58515-header.jpg
    58515-header.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 347
Steve,
If you need something with a bit more VaVa Voooom but still uniquely original I know where to put my hands on an early 1970's Ford development engine.
2.0 ltr overhead cam with turbo. Originally supplied for testing to a private race team & proved to be a real brute.
Apparently Ford never asked for it to be returned!

Hmmm... Interesting idea...

Right now, I'm trying to use the SVRA rules as a restoration guide in case it decides it wants to be a race car some day. Have to have an original engine (original to the make/model) for that. Things may change once I get it running though...

Still lots to do before this thing is driveable again, as the car had been sitting for 15+ years: brakes, shocks, rebuild clutch master & slave cylinders, sort some electrical issues, probably will need to replace the valve springs, ...

Rebuilding & re-jetting carburetor for high altitude operation. I'm going one step leaner (e.g. 55->50) on each of the idle & main jets to start. It sure is a lot easier just having to change 2 pairs of jets instead of 8...

Attachments

• 59741-carb.jpg
    59741-carb.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 371
Driver's side outer track rod end was shot. Old one on left, replacement on right. I did the passenger side too, even though it appears to be OK.

Attachments

• 59857-rod_end.jpg
    59857-rod_end.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 332
Visible progress has been slow...

NOS Armstrong rear shocks. These don't seem as stiff as the Monroes that were in there, but they're too cool not to use for now. May go to adjustable (Spax) at some point down the line...

Attachments

• 61103-rearshock.jpg
    61103-rearshock.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 333

Ron Earp

Admin
Steve, you going to race it when she is done? It'd be a contender for many vintage events, SCCA/NASA and others all around the country I would think. Should be a lot of fun and a great car on the track.

Left front suspension leg with a fresh coat of paint and ready for new Koni insert (OK, so why did I say Spax for the rear? Haven't found any Konis for the MkII...)

There was some surface rust inside the tube, so I ran a brake hone down there to clean it up, then sprayed the inside with rust preventer which will hopefully be good for a few years. Also put anti-sieze on the strut insert threads, probably causing a chemical reaction with the rust preventer that will cause the insert to sieze up permanently inside the tube /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 61118-leftleg.jpg
    61118-leftleg.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 346
[ QUOTE ]
A bit rough...

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, those gauges look like they could have come out of my 66 Mustang Fastback.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Work in progress: got some magnesium from lowcostmetals.com & am making a battery hold down. Why magnesium? Just for the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.giffactor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 64069-holddown.jpg
    64069-holddown.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 324
Drained & removed gas tank. Tank not shown, but it's kind of rusty inside - will need to be cleaned & sealed if it is to be reused.

Attachments

• 64071-tankless.jpg
    64071-tankless.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 325
However, that opening is just about the perfect size for a 12 gallon fuel cell, and the sender is pretty gunked up. So gunked up, in fact, that the solvents I've tried on it won't degunk it.

Sender/fuel pickup:

Attachments

• 64072-sender.jpg
    64072-sender.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 345
Back