Just how wide is the gulf version?

I know the standard MK1 is 70" wide, but the Gulf rear is widened. Just how wide was the Gulf version?

My kit is being made with the Gulf option and I'm starting to worry about getting rear wheels/tires wide enough to fit the thing and make it look right. The widest wheel I can get in the style I like is 13" so that should be fine, but the tire I am looking at maxes out at 345. That's only 13" wide and I wonder about how it will look on a Gulf version rear.

Darrin:
My clip measures just under 80" lip to lip, the lip is approx 1" wide and out side to outside of tire is approx 76 1/4" as good as a tire can be measured.
15" wheels X 14" wide with Avons, backspacing on the wheels is 5 7/8"
Here is a photo.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• temp 025.jpg
    temp 025.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 462
Thanks for this!

What size tires are you running?

My builder is telling me that it will be 78" wide so that fits in closely with what you are reporting too BTW.

Darrin:
I will get you the tire sizes tomorrow AM (mon.), as the car is at my shop and I am at home.
I know the tread width is 13", but thats all I can remember right now.
I will post it when I get in tomorrow.
Cheers
Phil

Darrin,
78 will be fine, I just added some gulf flares to one of my clips and it is 77.5ish no lip. I am going to run MT sportsman pros 15X15 on 14 inch wheels. I think I read somewhere that some were even wider than 80......... Post a pic when you get it, Scott

Here is a pic to give an idea of tire size/flare width......

Attachments

• half-booty.jpg
    half-booty.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 475
Darrin:
Tires are avon historic tread 12.5 X 27.0 X 15. They are actually about 26" diam. and the tread measure approx 13".
Hope this helps
Phil

Darrin:
Tires are avon historic tread 12.5 X 27.0 X 15. They are actually about 26" diam. and the tread measure approx 13".
Hope this helps
Phil

Thanks Phil! That helps a lot actually along with the photo.

The tire I am planning on is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport size 345/30/19. It's:

27.2" tall
13" tread width
13.8" section width

Just about exactly what you have then. The wheel will be either an HRE 560C (560C | HRE Performance Wheels | Luxury Street Motorsport) or a Forged Specialties SC-M14 (SC-M14 Grey Side 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!).

Either way, they will be 12.0" in width. The fronts will be 18" wheels and 8.5 or 9 (whatever I can fit) wide.

I feel a lot better now. Was really worried that wide area wouldn't look right with only a 13" wide tire but CScott's photo looks very good to me (even though it is 2" wider than I will run assuming he was talking tread width and not section width).

Darrin:
Sounds good...I would like to see photos of that setup when you get it all sorted, its definitely easier to find a greater variety of tires in those wheel sizes. Good luck whichever wheel you choose, both look good.
Cheers
Phil

Darrin:
Sounds good...I would like to see photos of that setup when you get it all sorted, its definitely easier to find a greater variety of tires in those wheel sizes. Good luck whichever wheel you choose, both look good.
Cheers
Phil

I actually mocked it up before (got images of a similar wheel and put it on a GT40) but didn't keep it. I'll try to do the same with these and post here.

Darrin,

I have a GTD wide body. If it stops raining I'll drive it out and you can check out the wheels and how everything looks in person. I am in Frisco too.

Darrin,

I have a GTD wide body. If it stops raining I'll drive it out and you can check out the wheels and how everything looks in person. I am in Frisco too.

Wow! Just up the road from me and I had no idea. I am actually in McKinney now but lived in Frisco for 10 years or so. Only a few miles away though. Love for you to stop by and let me see your car sometime or have me stop by!

Last edited:
Back