Kiwis RCR40 Build

Steve R

Supporter
1695691682356.png

And here we go lol (Mostly Sunday drive and show)
Put deposit down June 7th for Deluxe plus kit, Mk1 tail, Mk2 nose, Single nostril, 17" Halibrand wheels, wider rear wheels +1.5", 2 x Gurney bubbles (not sure on those yet), Front air lift, +4 flares, Body fit from RCR
Prestige motor sports Ford 427-HR/SS-LB2 520HP 4125 SPEED BORLA (HIGH POLISH)
QBE62G004 Quaife Ford GT40 (ZF) 5sp Synchro Transaxle with oil pump, GP headers, CVF Serpentine Front end, complete small block clutch package from Safir.
Transaxle is here, Engine will be done in a month.
Now just the wait.... Hoping to get car Jan or Feb. Fran said around 7 months so fingers crossed.
Thanks to the members who helped me get to this stage.

Last edited:

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Keep us posted Steve. I assume you have joined the GT40 owners NZ Facebook group.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
No - probably don't fit the criteria then. Good luck with the build.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
And here we go lol (Mostly Sunday drive and show)
Put deposit down June 7th for Deluxe plus kit, Mk1 tail, Mk2 nose, Single nostril, 17" Halibrand wheels, wider rear wheels +1.5", 2 x Gurney bubbles (not sure on those yet), Front air lift, +4 flares, Body fit from RCR
Prestige motor sports Ford 427-HR/SS-LB2 520HP 4125 SPEED BORLA (HIGH POLISH)
QBE62G004 Quaife Ford GT40 (ZF) 5sp Synchro Transaxle with oil pump, GP headers, CVF Serpentine Front end, complete small block clutch package from Safir.
Transaxle is here, Engine will be done in a month.
Now just the wait.... Hoping to get car Jan or Feb. Fran said around 7 months so fingers crossed.
Thanks to the members who helped me get to this stage.
Looking forward to watching your build. Going to be an awesome car with those components. Have you found a source for your tires?

Steve R

Supporter
Looking forward to watching your build. Going to be an awesome car with those components. Have you found a source for your tires?
No I have not even looked. No idea what sizes will be good and have no idea where to start lol so I will wait for Fran to tell me what I should get. What about you have you decided yet?

Last edited:

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I got just Avons from Roger Krausin California. There are not a lot of options and Avon will shut down at the end of November. There is a buyer in the works, but there will be at least a six month production pause. My build has the BRM style 8 and 10 x 15s. According to Roger, a company in Taiwan may also start making suitable tires. The only other U.S. supplier for Avons is Sascosports in Virginia

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy, you may want to buy a set of beater tires to build your car with. Save the AVONs for once you get closer to done and they could get kind of trashed.
Thx for the guidance. Goodrich T/As cost about $900 and I have thought about getting a set. More because Avons might not be available after November and I could use the Goodrich for daily driving and reserve the Avons for spirited driving. From what I have heard Avons only last about 10,000 miles but have really long shelf life. That being said, avoiding damage during the build should be pretty easy since I plan to have the car on a mobile scissor lift for most of the build. About the only time it will have wheels and tires during the build is when I fit the body or do a test drive.

No I have not even looked. No idea what sizes will be good and have no idea where to start lol so I will wait for Fran to tell me what I should get. What about you have you decided yet?

I was originally going to do 17" wheels until I found out that would add $5k to the build cost. Ultimately I decided on 15x8's up front and 15x12's in the rear with the +4 flare's like you. I'm also having RCR do the body fit and have asked if they can install the +4 flares slightly lower to accommodate my 24.5" diameter rear tires: Pirelli Pzero 345/35R15. I went with this tire b/c it is the only DOT approved tire that suited my need for fat rubber on a 15" wheel that's Y speed rated. As an added bonus, there is a matching set of appropriately sized 225/50R15s for the fronts.

Harrison - having gone through this on a GP IV Pantera with 13" wide rear rims when I flared the body, you really need to have the rims and tires on the car and THEN set the flares. Otherwise, you will run into the issue of the flares do not perfectly fit the wheel tire combo you are running. As you note, there are very few wide 15" street legal, speed rated tires in this category (1 to be exact) so take it from someone who went down this path and do NOT attempt to have RCR guess where to hang the flares.

Harrison - having gone through this on a GP IV Pantera with 13" wide rear rims when I flared the body, you really need to have the rims and tires on the car and THEN set the flares. Otherwise, you will run into the issue of the flares do not perfectly fit the wheel tire combo you are running. As you note, there are very few wide 15" street legal, speed rated tires in this category (1 to be exact) so take it from someone who went down this path and do NOT attempt to have RCR guess where to hang the flares.

RCR has the wheels/tires in stock and will have them on the car as a "Roller" when setting the flares so they should be able to place them where they need to go unless I've missed something.

I was originally going to do 17" wheels until I found out that would add $5k to the build cost. Ultimately I decided on 15x8's up front and 15x12's in the rear with the +4 flare's like you. I'm also having RCR do the body fit and have asked if they can install the +4 flares slightly lower to accommodate my 24.5" diameter rear tires: Pirelli Pzero 345/35R15. I went with this tire b/c it is the only DOT approved tire that suited my need for fat rubber on a 15" wheel that's Y speed rated. As an added bonus, there is a matching set of appropriately sized 225/50R15s for the fronts.

OMG, you will really want to look after those tyres. The rears look like they are around 960 GB Pounds EACH and from around 1400AUS Dollar each.
Maybe the 17" wheels would have worked out more cost effective over the longer term ?

Steve R

Supporter
Steve R, do you "need" the shorter stacks to clear the rear deck/hood in your RCR? Or did you just want the shorter stacks? Looks AWESOME! Sounds good too!

Ben
To be honest I just went with what Prestige recommended. My knowledge is limited so this whole build is going off other builds and what people with knowledge recommend.

Back