Land Speed Racing Record

we have a standing mile here in Texas as well. I was there a couple weekends ago. There was a new GT and it sounded great. Went 170+ Check out www.texasmile.com

It is cooler than it sounds. I've seen bikes go 250+. Crazy. not many cars can get going over 200 mph in a standing mile. Mostly bikes are going over 200. That has to be scary fast.

I broke my clutch line the first time out. I haven't run since. but plan to in the fall.

Dan,

Udaman!

What is that track like? Maxton is a bit rough.

Here's what I found:

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down in The Unlimited Street Class for Vehicles. 201.750

I need to go to Texas.

A 2005 GT went 183 at Maxton but couldn't get 6th gear. I'm doing 160 before the half mile marker and holding half throttle to not exceed the ECTA limit. And that was with the A/C on.

Ring and pinion and then I need to go to Texas.

Mark

Mark,

I checked out your site. Very nice. Would like to see that car. When you go to Texas, let me know. I'll plan to come down and help out. Last time I took my dad and my kids. We had a good time just hanging out. It is about 2 hours from San Antonio. Everyone is super friendly. No doubt with the right gears you can top 201.

We also have the Big Bend Open Road Race down here. They shut down about 60 miles of 2 lane highway in the middle of nowhere. And you drive fast. Real fast. Both ways. I know several cars were radar clocked at close to 200. It is a super event, well run, and lots of driving time. Check it out:

http://www.bborr.com/

If you drive it, you will be hooked. I promise.

Dan

Attachments

• 79989-middleofnowhere.JPG
    79989-middleofnowhere.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 373
Anyone that plans on running at the Salt Flats should be prepared to be humbled. The 4200 ft elevation will result in a significant power reduction, which will also cause a drop in aero drag, but not enough to make up for the power loss.

Here's my car at speed in 1981. We were able to crank out 220 mph and average 217.849 mph. Kept the record for 23 years. Guess I'll have to get another car together.

Attachments

• 217.849 mph Sept. 1981.JPG
    217.849 mph Sept. 1981.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 360
Back