Le Mans 24 Hours of Endurance 1968

For Tractor Boy and the rest of the World. For those of you who have not seen this- Get yourself a glass of your favourite drink, put your feet up and watch this Ferodo-sponsored film about the Gulf GT40s at Le Mans in 1968. My friend Roy Gillette, another fellow Club Lotus member, was there as a pit signaler for the JWA team. He has provided a number of clubs with talks about his motor racing career from 1963 onwards, as a racing car mechanic. His best friend, Chris Lambert, lost his life, I think at Zandvort in 1968 and as "therapy", Roy was offered to go with the Gulf team to Le Mans. I will try to get a transcript of his talk for you all, as it's truly fascinating.. In the meantime enjoy this-

Ford GT40 - 1968 24 Hours of Le Mans - YouTube

Another jewel Andrew. Better than any bloody video game! Remarkable footage with Sterling Moss' low key comments. Again, many thanks for making my day. It's a nice break for me as I watched this film while sitting in a tea shop no more than 20' from the track in St. Petersburg, Florida. It's just started to rain and qualifying is just one hour away. These boys don't like racing in the rain with concrete walls beckoning them in for a closer look! Should be interesting to watch though.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Andrew,

What a great film!

That first lap with Sterling's commentary.......priceless!

That Mulsanne straight ws incredably long, bordered by nice trees, as David Hobbs says, painted white for "safety":(

Jimmy, you lucky boy!

It should be a great race!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Andrew,

What a great film!

That first lap with Sterling's commentary.......priceless!

That Mulsanne straight ws incredably long, bordered by nice trees, as David Hobbs says, painted white for "safety":(

Jimmy, you lucky boy!

It should be a great race!

As A.J. Foyt was told about the white painted trees by Gurney, "They are a French safety barrier.....they keep most of the big pieces of car and driver out of the crowd..."

Back