Le Mans Classic 30 june - 3 July 2022

1634568523117.png

Time to check this box. I am seriously interested in attending the 2022 Le Mans Classic. Any advice? I live in the San Francisco area but will be based in Lyon around this time and can get to Le Mans by train or car rental. It would be my first time at the Circuit de la Sarthe, and am keen to meet more of the GT40 community there. Will bring skills for bbq, French wine, and photography.

Last edited:
Hi Roberto

I'm sure there is a wealth of talent on this site that can offer plenty of advice. If you decide to come by train from Lyon, get to the main station in le mans. There is a tram service that will take you right to the circuit. Make sure you catch the one that goes to the MMArena, which is right next to the circuit.

Regards
Stephen

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Wear comfortable shoes and clothes you will walk miles. Take sunscreen as shade is at a premum and also a hat. I have found it to be cool and damp or dry and baking hot. A backpack with water and a lightweight rain cover is a good idea.

If you can, book a grandstand seat, my favourite is the Dunlop grandstand. Great view of the start straight and Dunlop curves and away under the bridge.

Make sure your ticket covers access to the paddocks so you can get close up to the cars, mechanics and drivers.

Be prepared for your senses to be bombarded with noise smells and stunning equipment

Enjoy

Ian

If you decide to come by train from Lyon, get to the main station in le mans. There is a tram service that will take you right to the circuit. Make sure you catch the one that goes to the MMArena, which is right next to the circuit.

Thanks Stephen, good to know. I'll probably take the TGV from Lyon to Paris to Le Mans.

I'm looking at the Flexotel (container) accommodation option at the track and, somehow, getting paddock access (advice wanted!). Just joined the UK based GT40 Enthusiasts club this morning (I have English relatives I occasionally visit, same for friends in Devon) and have reached out for the club's activity plans for the 2022 Classic.

Overall plan: absorbing as much GT40-everything as possible over the next two years as I develop a plan to build or acquire one and join in the community fun. So far, my French wife does not like the smell of gasoline nor the sound of a racing engine, but, thanks to Jim Craik and his wife Fran here in the San Francisco area, my wife does like sitting in a GT40. And that's a good start. ;-)

Wear comfortable shoes and clothes you will walk miles. Take sunscreen as shade is at a premum and also a hat. I have found it to be cool and damp or dry and baking hot. A backpack with water and a lightweight rain cover is a good idea.

Brilliant advice, Ian, thanks. I think my survival is more assured now!

I don't know if they're still doing it, but when I was there 10(?) years ago, they were selling cheap FM radios with a single wired earbud that played the English language track announcers. That helped keep me informed when I wasn't watching the track.

Definitely wear sunscreen, I remember seeing lots of shirtless drunk guys who were turning bright red.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I have been going to each event since 2008 with a group of Pantera owners, and really looking forward to 2022 with what has been a 4 year hiatus.

When purchasing tickets you'll need General Admission, Paddock & want a Grandstand ticket. Each year seems to be bit different, but the event is now more popular than he 24 Hours so don't rely on getting tickets when you get there. A covered grandstand ticket allows you to get out of the rain (we have had some really wet years camping) and with the ACO Grandstand ticket we used to get ACO Club access for a few years, but I think they clamped down on that.

Thanks for the continued advice, Ben and Julian. I've purchased a shared Flexotel ticket which includes gen. admission and paddock pass, and a GT40 Enthusiasts Club (UK) BBQ tic. Very much looking forward.

Last edited:
Hi this is where I will be staying, parked on the Beausejour campsite which is adjacent to the Porsche Curves, Thursday afternoon till Monday morning. Will have abottle of wine open and a few cold beers in the fridge if you call round.
Regards David
IMG_0727.jpeg
IMG_0727.jpeg

Back