Looking for examples in Northern Cal

I seem to be marching closer and closer to building my own GT40 MkI. However, I would really like to see some examples in person (esp of the RF since this seems to be the most economical kit). Any builders/owners in the area open to showing a newbie their baby?

I'm in San Jose, but I am fortunate to have a nice Mooney 231 (high performance airplane), so anywhere within 600 miles is fine. (Hey, meet me at your local airport with your GT40 and I'll gladly take you for a ride at 200mph - legally!).

I'd also be interested in comments on the quality of the RF kit. From what I can find it appears people are satisfied. How stiff is the space frame chassis? How does the RF compare with the ERA (other than the obvious chassis difference)?

Many Thanks,
Mark
(who just sold his M3 and really needs a fun car)

Mark,

CHeck out the GT40 Party thread by Howard Jones. Oct 1 in
San Ramon you will find a few GTDs, CAVs, DRBs, and maybe
a Tornado. I'm not sure what everyone has, but those are
the cars I know of. I am not sure there are any RFs in NorCal
yet (I am still trying to get my ducks in a row).

Ian

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Got to love those Mooneys! I used to call them the Porsche of airplanes, but on here I should call them the GT40 of airplanes, right? With a 231, 600mi is an easy day trip, right?

I am an ex M20C Ranger, N7174V, pilot. The hard part is getting them to slow down as my Dad found out one day when he came into a little 1500 ft. strip like he was in a 172 that would drop out of the air when you cut the throttle. About the second ballon (that those solid rubber dampeners will give you when your hot), half way down the runway, I asked him, "do you think you should take it around and try that again?" Thankfully, he took my advise and crossed the fence at 70, not 100+, the next time. I guess he was reliving his days as a P38 pilot in Italy LOL :) Damn, I miss this that plane.

And then there was the time in Kansas City when I was in position to turn base but still at 2K' when the contoller said, "cleared to land".........another story for another time. Welcome aboard, and I am sure Hershal Byrd can hook you up with somebody with an RF.

Regards,
Lynn

There are three of us (at least) in the livermore/tri valley area. Drop us a PM if you want to come up and see the cars.

[ QUOTE ]
Got to love those Mooneys! I used to call them the Porsche of airplanes, but on here I should call them the GT40 of airplanes, right? With a 231, 600mi is an easy day trip, right?

I am an ex M20C Ranger, N7174V, pilot. The hard part is getting them to slow down...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Lynn,

Ah yes, I did my first real cross country (San Jose to Dallas) in a '65 C model. Great airplane. Actually Porsche is probably a better analogy as the Mooneys have fairly small engines and are not known for being roomy. Now the Lancair 360 the guy next to me is building with the TSIO 540 engine - that could be a GT40!

As far as slowing down - speed brakes are the trick. They were an option on my 231 (which I fortunately have) but come standard now. Makes all the difference in the world when you are hot and high - just watch that bounce.

Cheers,
Mark

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Mark,

Yeah, the only speed brakes we had were the sides of the airplane. That is exactly how I got down in Kansas City: pulled power, speed down, gear down, flaps down on base, and then a hard slip all the way to the numbers. Bit of a cross wind helped too. It was quite an elevator ride! There are two airports across the river from one another and they had kept me at 2000 crossing over the one to get to the other. I thought they would put me into an upwind to loose altitude, but got very surprised when they cleared me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Regards,
Lynn

Hi Mark,
I think I would definetly take Ian's advise and attend the party at Howard's. You will get a rare chance to see many different GT40's. I'm sorry to say that I'm probably the nearest RFGT40 to you. Southwest Airlines has reasonable rates if wish to fly down here. I'll be happy to have you as a guest and then you can drive my RFGT40. I think this way you will be able to select the right car for you. I got over 56,000 miles on my RFGT and she still drives like new. If you have any further interest please give me a call. My contact info is on the web site.
www.roaringforties.com.au

Mark, there is also a private strip called Hacienda Hangers just a 1/2 mile from my house. It's located southwest of downtown Phoenix. You are welcome to land there with your Mooney. I have a runway in my backyard but it won't be long enough for a Mooney. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I rode in Hershal's car this past weekend at Gateway . It is a tight , quiet chassis . It is amazing since some production cars can start to rattle and squeak by 56k. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back