looking for people/events near Portland OR

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hi there. I've been lurking for a while and am very impressed by the quantity and quality of info available and shared on this board. The enthusiasm and dedication to the car is completely understandable and this seems like a very productive forum to share ideas, opinions and the occasional flaming thread.

That said, I fall in the category of having been entranced by the GT40 at an early age- but never thinking of being able to own one. It was quite nice to find out about replicas that are worthy (enough) of the name and still appropriate to drive. My curiosity kept me looking around and while I may be a bit of time and $'s away from acquiring a car, I am now fairly certain that I *will* be doing that eventually.

So... cutting to the chase: I live in Portland OR. I'd be interested in knowing if there are any builders, owners, events, etc in my area (OR, WA, maybe BC) where I could actually see what these kits entail? I have a BS in mech eng and campaigned an RX-7 in SCCA ProRally for a few years, so I could even volunteer to turn a few wrenches if you're looking for help. Basically, I'd be interested in seeing just exactly what it's like to build your own dream.

The technical threads are awesome- I am most impressed with the transaxle solutions that are dreamed up. Keep up the good work and I will be patiently waiting til I can start my own postings on the builders forum.

Until then...

Chris

I know there are at least 6 of us in the area from portland to Vancouver B.C. (me) that are at one stage or another. I am not far enough along to be interesting yet.

Chris, Greg Heacock has a GT40 replica and lives in WA. Home contact is XXXXXXXX he has been to the UK and sampled some of our cars as well, Frank

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Thanks for the info so far. If anyone chats or corresponds with Greg Heacock, I'd appreciate passing on my email ([email protected]).

Colin, sent you PM but thought I'd send any other newbies past your homepage (accessed on the member profile page). Very cool and informative, looks like a nice way to document the build.

Thanks again, and if there is anyone else in the neighborhood, I'd love to check out anything you're willing to share.

Chris

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Colin, I think your web site and build photos are just terrific. Lots of fun to look at.
Greg Heacock's car is a rare bird- one of a very few Ray Mallock GT40 replicas, if I am not mistaken. I corresponded with him when I was first getting interested in GT40s. It has some unusual touches- an in-line Autolite four-barrel carb setup, which I have never seen elsewhere, is one. He did a beautiful job restoring it.
Greg, if you're out there, maybe a picture or two?

The site I was using to host my car pictures went down. Jim - give me a suggestion for a place to park my images and I'll post them again.

Back