LT1 crate engine

fernando

Lifetime Supporter
As I understand it, direct injection allows you to safely run the engine lean, so helps fuel economy and efficiency, particularly at part throttle (if you still need one).

It's a major advance in engine technology IMO, offering the same level of control over fueling (quantity and timing) as individual coils did for ignition. It'll take a while for it to be fully-exploited, but reducing the need for a throttle is a big improvement - they were always a symptom of a broken design IMO.

I'm curious if the major downsides seen in the lambo/audi direct injected V10 will be found in this one. By not having the air/fuel mix on all the time and 'washing' the backsides of the intake valves, the V10's get fouled up pretty quickly and pretty badly. I researched it in 2012 and early 2013 when I was considering a "new to me" daily driver and a 2011 S6 V10 showed up off lease near me. "carbon fouling" I think the audi forums called it. I passed on it. It's a slightly bigger displacement than the lambo and is detuned vs. the version in that generation S8 so can be juiced to respectable levels for an AWD sleeper sedan.

I'm in the wait and see camp. Like Matt:

"For 11k, you can pick up a new LSA. Swap the pulley and you have 650 hp. I can't decide if the LT1's improvements justify the cost as compared to a proven FI setup"

And, plenty of guys on the CTSV forums well past 650 with pulley and tune and injectors and CAI. Bascially for $2500 guys are going from 550 to 750+HP (ie: 600-625HP at the wheels with an auto trans), . No one seems to have trouble with the block until past 900HP.

I can't imagine a tuned LSA in a car that weighs 2000 pounds less than my CTSV wagon. But I'm willing to try one :)

marc

Lifetime Supporter
DOHC V8 Done by Mercury Marine for GM in 90"s LT5 beautiful motor Parts outrageous. was in the ZR1, Had one. incredible torque curve and was 200mph car with a little tuning, again in the 90's

Back