Mallory electronic ignition

Hi

After receiving much advice on the forum (thanks to all who helped), I fitted a full Mallory dual point electronic conversion, incl new Mallory coil, ballast resistor, conversion kit, leads, plugs etc etc.

I havent checked the timing yet, but I went to turn her over and I get:

1) with no fuel (i.e. pumps not on, and no fuel in carbs) but electrics all connected, she turns over no problem
2) with fuel, but the coil lead disconnected, she turns over no problem
3) with fuel and all electrics connected, she tries to turn but stops dead.

I assume the timing must be way too advanced? or could it be something else?

Any help would, as always, be greatle appreciated!

Cheers

Darren

Darren,
Not familiar with the Mallory setup. You mentioned a ballast resistor. Check to see it is installed correctly. Any system with a resistor as part of the setup has to have it right to work. With every thing working without the electronics, and not when it is on, tells me there is something not hooked up right. If the timing is to far advanced you will get some backfiring through the carb or injectors. If it does this, don't continue to try and start it. Align the crank trigger(if there is one) perfectly according to the manual. Make sure the distributor is installed correctly. If off by one notch it will act really weird as well. The advance mechanism will be really advanced when it tries to advance once started, causing the above also.
Any of these things can attempt to turn the motor backwards putting a terrible strain on the starter and the kick back is enough to break a tooth off the ring gear. Believe me I know.

Bill

Back