Mecum Auction

Re: Making Sense of Nonsense

GT40 replicas are simply too uncomfortable, too hot, too extreme, and arguably too fast for most people. Thus, owners who fall into this demographic quickly lose interest and sell them at a loss.

Oh, to be young and wealthy enough to be able to afford to take advantage of that situation...sigh....

It is true, I personnaly bought my GTD to a retired well-off guy who said me that, getting older, he needs a more comfy car. Saying that, he pulled a cover off a car, parked aside the GT : there was a Ferrari 355 under, he just bought.
I've seen all the invoices for what he has done on the car ! He lost around $35K in 4 years, for driving it only 1000 miles.

I'm young and healty enough (still !) to enjoy a GT40 replica, so his loss, my gain !
I couldn't had afford that GT40 replica (or any other !), if it had cost me $35K more... So, his nonsense make sense to me !

and don't get me started on the "Eleanor" POS's..

AMEN Brother! That car was tacky (and tacked on) looking to start with....and people stand in line for copies.....I just don't get it.

Drew - Excellent reasoning on the GT40 demographics.

Alan, pm me private.....Thanks......
Pierre/Mesa, my 2003 Vanquish that I purchased a year ago with bumper to bumper warranty cost me 80 grand at an authorised Aston dealer........
I cannot explain how wonderful a car ..............
The looks,ride and comfort.
Just think about it.....
A GT40 is a great ride, but a complete drive with quality parts will cost at least 135 grand to build....Some people will sell theirs for around 60 to 80 grand...
At my age I pass and go for the Aston .........
Remember guys I drove a 2005 FROD GT around the world.......
I love the GT40/and New Gt's...
They are toys not daily drivers......

I love the GT40/and New Gt's...
They are toys not daily drivers......

I fully agree of course. I have a daily driver, a ugly Peugeot (yuck!), which is just a tool for going from point A to point B...

My poor GTD is pure toy (as my SPF Cobra), and when running on the motorway even at legal speed, I altought feel like I'm Jacky Ickx on the Hunaudières straight...:helmet: ! This has no price.:laugh: !
Maybe some day, I'll be sick of noise, petrol fumes, and harsh ride, then I'll buy an Aston...but I've to live my dream before !;)

Agreed, I had a wonderful time meeting most of you at Classic LeMans....It was real fun.....Parking with the club .
The french counrty side was nice too.
GTJOEY1314

Back