Mk II FE oil filter mounting choices

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
From another thread:

You might also be able to get some room back by remote-mounting the oil filter, which gives you some additional places to put things like an oil temp sender. Mine is back on the left side of the car, lateral to the transaxle, on a mount welded in by Safir, with 10An braided lines running forward to the original oil filter location.

Two questions I'm contemplating and would like to hear comments;

1. Where to mount my oil filter (SPF MK II, FE motor, dry sump)
  2. Where were they mounted on the original MK IIs?
I notice a lot of people mount it at the left rear, next to the transaxle. Why? I ask because it seems like a long hose run to the rear and back, so there must be some offsetting benefit. Unless of course the engine oil cooler is back there as well, in which case never mind. Is this by any chance where it was on original Mk Is?

Cobra guys with FEs apparently like to mount it to the LHS of the water pump, but that's almost certainly too far forward for my firewall. I could, however, mount it just below the front of the LHS head. This would keep the hose runs quite short and would be convenient to get to. I cannot mount it to the stock "non-remote" location because that's where my oil pumps are.

I haven't found a picture of a "real" Mk II that indicates or shows where it is/was. The SAE papers sometimes show it in its original non-remote location on the block, but at least one diagram implies a remote mounting. Does anyone know where they were on the original Mk IIs? In particular, can anyone point me to a photo(s)?

My priorities are (in no particular order):
  • Adherance to historical practice
  • Convenience in removing and replacing
  • Short, neat hose/pipe runs
  • Protection from stray rocks, signficant heat sources, etc.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Best book to look in is Allen's TFTBF, which has a lot of shots of the BB cars with the rear clip up or off. Try there. It is much more convenient, and it also cools faster for when you want to change it. You have to allow for the oil in the lines for refilling the sump. I had used Parker-Hannefin/Racor hoses that I had made up, but Ron advised that I switch to SS braid AN hose, I think it is Russell, it came from Jeg's or Summit. Finally, you may need to make a bracket to hold the hoses up so that they don't get in the halfshafts, which if it happened could ruin your day and anyone else driving near you.

For myself, tradition didn't come into it and the location by the transaxle was chosen simply because it allowed me to get a container under the filter, while changing it out, to minimise spillage. Some locations look like it'd be hard not to get oil everywhere and also hard to clean up any spills afterwards.

As it turned out, locating it there, instead of on the bulkhead, made running the oil lines easier (it was getting a bit busy up front). Also a few free extra cc of oil capacity. Bargain!

Regards,

Lance

Attachments

• Oil Filter Location.jpg
    Oil Filter Location.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 226
Back