Mk1 Road Car front indicator lamp, what is the proper placement.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
So while I await my chassis and body I am knocking out buying the small detailed stuff, this week, front indicator lamps. From what I see they are L488's from your typical LBC's. Several road cars I have studied the photos of have these lamps with the rubber showing, rubber and chrome trim ring showing and then recessed with no rubber or trim ring showing, only the lense itself. So what is original? On the recessed version, did they make a plate to take hold the lamp body only allowing the lense to be seen? The advantage I can see to the recessed version is to replace the bulb you can access from the back side of the panel vs having to drill off the perspex cover to get to it from the front.

I appreciate any info or theories.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Like you, on original cars I've seen all methods of mounting you mention, although no rubber or ring showing may be slightly more common on out and out race versions. Go with what you prefer. I went with rubber and chrome ring showing. Removal of the perspex cover is reasonably quick if you use nutserts and certainly no slower than jacking the car up, removing the inner cover plate, and accessing the light fitting.

Back