More leg / headroom in GT40 or De Tomaso ?

While I'm aware of 6ft plus drivers fitting in GT40s with the help of adjustable pedal boxes, dropped floor, no seat runners etc, space is realistically pretty tight.

Do the Panteras offer more or less leg and head room? I've been offered one for a price that's hard to refuse, and I'm wondering if it might be a consideration to satisfy my hunger for a rear engined sports car in the short term... I'd love to hear any opinions (good or bad) about the Panteras.

Thanks !

PS - Craig W, this is partly your fault. All of your talk about your GT40 has me thinking that it's time for a change from the Cobra....

There's a bit more, but it is still a tight fit. You may have to get out to change your mind. I'd worrm more about girth than height. If you are 6' 2" and 195, no problem. If you are 5' 11" 280... Problem... They are fun cars to drive. One of the best handling at the time (in the early 70's). Watch out for chassis rot, unless it is a 80's version. Don't expect to be able to speed-shift it. Lastly, do not ever expect to sell it for a profit or get all your money back out of it. Just drive & enjoy it.

Ron McCall

Supporter
There are several Pantera owners that I know that are 6'5" or so and one who is 6' 280 lbs and fits fairly well in his Pantera.Check this pic out. http://www.panteraplace.com/ICD/2003/ICD%202003%20115.JPG

This guy is 6'5" I think.
Some owners have modified their pedal boxes and seats and some have not.
I say "go for it!" I totally love my Pantera(it has 657hp!):).I hope to someday have a GT-40 also.
Later,
Ron

Check out this site. http://www.panteraplace.com/

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Like many cars, if it puts a big enough smile on your face, a tight fit won't bother you much. The arse width in early Panteras is a bit tight in the original seats. I have an early 1971 Pantera, am average size and fit fine. If you replace the seats (or it has newer ones) you'll be downright comfy!

Do follow Tom's advice and check for rust carefully - no matter how good the price, you'll not want to have to deal with a rust-bucket unless you want a big expensive project. Ron's suggestion about www.panteraplace.com is excellent. There is an astounding wealth of info there.

I can tell you that while I have never driven a GT40 (or a Cobra), I've never driven anything as visceral as a Pantera before. Mine only has about 350HP, but it still makes my face hurt from grinning too much after an hour of driving. Lots more trunk room too!

Pantera??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You just can't help yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pantera's are pretty rare here, can't believe you've dug one up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Reminds me I should give you a call, I'm in your neck of the woods for next few days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Craig - I'm away for a couple of days. My mower broke last weekend, so feel free to give my lawn a mow while you're in the area !!!

Mark, Ron and Tom - thanks for the info and link to the Pantera site. Very interesting reading !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Great question,I personallly been involved with pantera's since 1985 when we did major modifications on a GT5's. I owned a 74 pantera that has always been garage kept for 9 years. These cars can be purchased and sold for porfit if you know what your are doing. It is very obvious there is more interior room, the car is about 10% to 15% larger. The biggest difference the pantera sits much more up right than my GT40. The pantera seems to fit me comfortablly at 5'11" and 190(lbs). The later model cars GT5,GT5S, had lowered floor pans for a 6' drivers could wear their halmets with no problem in the car.I feel very fortunate to owen both of these excellent cars

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Opening the garage door to see the front of a GT40 beside the back of a Pantera must be about as close to Nirvana as it gets. I suppose a GT40 sandwich with Pantera filler would be nice too... or maybe a Miura....

I guess I am just very lucky, because I have both a Pantera and a GT40. I used to think that the Pantera was a tight fit (I am 6' 2", 190lbs.), but after driving around the GT the Pantera is very spacious in comparison. The GT gets twice the attention. If we take both cars to a car show and park them together most people just stand with their backs to the Pantera and stare at the GT. Another major difference is that a Pantera is plush compared to a GT. Because of the mid-engine design both cars are similiar but I still feel a Pantera is a better long term investment as a collector car.

Back