New Ford GT SuperCar (Hybrid)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
How $much....??

Was salvage value (metal price) which was Between $300 and $500 at the time - This was back in 1985-6-7... The company I worked for at the time serviced these engines and were going to scrap it out. I went to the Accounting Office to pay them for the engine and they told me that someone had tipped them off that I was a licensed pilot. They got cold feet and said that they were going to sell it to a recycler that they did business with as they could not take the chance that I would install it in an aircraft.. They did not want to believe that I was going to install it in my Corvette (former racecar)..

The whine of a turbine and 1100 SHP was a very intoxicating idea...

Since these cars are nothing but marketing gimmicks (Porsche included) I have a propensity to dislike them. Lets face it if going GREEN was concern than batteries would be the LAST thing used as the process to produce one of those little suckers releases more carbon and pollutants into the air than anything created to date. I forgot the exact mathematics behind it but I remember that supposedly the production of a prius drive train releases more waste into the planet than a FULL SIZE SUBURBAN IN IT'S LIFETIME so please please please stop with this crap already. Also people seem to forget where the electricity comes from which in itself makes this all the more ridiculous. I could go on and on and maybe one day there will be a viable solution but this is not it.
That "bike" was cool and as a pet project I fully understand but for the advertised use it's total hog wash (at least according to the FACTS).
Now if someone was to go totally off the grid with solar and wind power to charge these things than that person might be able to stand on a soap box although once again guess what is involved in creating those solar panels or turbines!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Was salvage value (metal price) which was Between $300 and $500 at the time ...
The whine of a turbine and 1100 SHP was a very intoxicating idea...

What a steal that would have been....I looked around a bit and see them for a few $10Ks. Too much for a "lark" project right now.....

The hybrid idea I'm interested as a hobby project would be a ~70 HP APU (or similar) charging the usual bank of batteries in an otherwise "normal" DIY plug-in electric.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I can't imagine this car making production. Ford aiming at Lambo, Ferrari and McLaren doesn't make financial sense. They need to monetize their production.

You can get a dealership draw (read corvette) to sell more Mustangs for a lot less than that car.

IMHO, take that body shape, insert the new 5.0L and price at levels to compete head to head with the Corvette. Could be a compelling offering with 440hp for base model and a 600hp supercharged top variant (ZR1 competitor) in a 3000lb package (that is what it'll weigh with bumpers and sound deadening).

Price at $70K-$110K and you'll sell a hell of a lot of Mustangs.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Lets face it if going GREEN was concern than batteries would be the LAST thing used as the process to produce one of those little suckers releases more carbon and pollutants into the air than anything created to date. I forgot the exact mathematics behind it but I remember that supposedly the production of a prius drive train releases more waste into the planet than a FULL SIZE SUBURBAN IN IT'S LIFETIME so please please please stop with this crap already.

So you Poo-poo an entire line of products from numerous auto manufacturers based upon mathematics you don't remember and information sources you don't quote - and THEN to on to call the discussion of it "crap" ????

Also people seem to forget where the electricity comes from which in itself makes this all the more ridiculous. I could go on and on and maybe one day there will be a viable solution but this is not it.

How many sources of petroleum are there? I've got a feeling that it's not as many as there are sources for electricity...
But since you call all the technology "crap" - I don't think you really give a darn anyway..

That "bike" was cool and as a pet project I fully understand but for the advertised use it's total hog wash (at least according to the FACTS).

If you're referring to my electric MC (shown earlier in this thread) - I would really like to know what you are talking about with "the advertised use it's total hog wash" comment....

Now if someone was to go totally off the grid with solar and wind power to charge these things than that person might be able to stand on a soap box although once again guess what is involved in creating those solar panels or turbines!

Now this is my opinion only - but I think you've absolutely got no effing clue what you're talking about. Period.

What a steal that would have been....I looked around a bit and see them for a few $10Ks. Too much for a "lark" project right now.....

The hybrid idea I'm interested as a hobby project would be a ~70 HP APU (or similar) charging the usual bank of batteries in an otherwise "normal" DIY plug-in electric.

There's a GTM project that uses a Gas Turbine powered generator to provide power to charge batteries and capacitors to energize the electric traction motors.. I'll see if I can find some references to post.. It was a pretty cool project but I've not heard much about it in the last couple of years..

I'd sell everything to buy a Shelby GTR if they came out .
The one in the picture would require alot of semichrome polish though !

I think the Hybrid version is cool if they get the Hybrid out of it .

Mid engine or front engine I like . I wish they would all just stop sitting on their own shoulders , and quit with the Hybrid ____ .

Last edited:
well here is one Dust in the Wind: Hybrids' Total Energy Cost | Hybrid Cars and here is another the link to the actual report and more since Automotive Energy . Now that coupled with two seconds of goggle search and over 10 pages shows up. As the way it sits now this is well; nonsense. A friend of mine that does conversions from gas to electric for commercial vehicles and is building a electric show car laughs about it all the time. The ONLY reason he is building the show car is for MARKETING PURPOSES. Like I said it is a cool toy and nothing more. If you remember we went back and forth about this the last time the topic of your "bike" came up. I also consult for a company that is in the process of building a "solar farm" in Bulgaria so I am a little familiar with the tech.

Look at it like this; it costs roughly 40-50K for a system (installed) that produces roughly enough energy to compensate for my monthly draw. So lets say that I spend roughly $450 a month on electric at 10yrs (try to find a warranty longer than that) I have spent 45,000 only to have to do it all over again so it becomes a wash over the EXPECTED life of the system and that's if I pay the total flat out. Once you factor in financing if any is taken and that "black" date gets pushed back even further.
I believe that ONE DAY it MIGHT be a viable solution but not now.

Last edited:
I remember how many times my RC car would have simple electrical problem I could only imagine what a full on EV would be like if there ever was "gremlin" oh wait I could always ask the guys from Tesla ... Lets see expected battery life of 7 years or 100K miles (for the roadster) and than there is this "
Roadster goes like 245 miles / single charge !
over-all mileage is around 100,000 miles
100,000 / 245 = 408 cycles (ONLY)
what about remaining 600 cycles ? http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/higher-mileage-roadsters
Lastly this; the cost of replacement of the ESS system should it ever need replacing $36,000 for a life expectancy of 7 yrs and a pre purchase plan at 12K (form wiki)
I said it before the tech is NOT THERE YET.

Please understand that I am not knocking anyones hobby or passion for the tech just the practicality of it in TODAYS world.

I said it before the tech is NOT THERE YET.
Please understand that I am not knocking anyones hobby or passion for the tech just the practicality of it in TODAYS world.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression Toyota's Rav4 fleet EV has been able to run up to 300,000K miles on a single battery. I know the motors aren't high performance and limited to a 65ish mph top speed but damn, I still see them around from time to time. The Nickel Metal Hydirde (NiMH) power still lives on in a severly crippled form powering the Prius.

The Tesla didn't make it 30 miles on Top Gear .
Foot to the floor . Which is how I drive ! That would eat the batteries faster , shorten their life .
I play with RC cars also .
Slow rock crawlers with 55 turn motors run an hour on a 6cell 7.2 pack of ni-cads , A racer with a 9 turn motor on the same pack , kills it in 8 minutes . If your lucky .
even the new technology lipo / brushless combos , while more efficient , are still the same .
I had thought about converting my Fiero/GT40 to EV but an estimated $20k is stupid , and won't sound as good as a LS7 would for less $$$ .

Damian , first thought I had when the news was talking about Toyotas having trouble was my RCs .

Back