New Ford GT website

It's getting better looking...that is, it looks more like the original. What do y'all think?

Car looks great. Bore to stroke ratio looks bad. Using RBT???? Gear ratios look bad also. 3.12:1 overall final drive
frown.gif
What about weight??

Yes, RBT. I believe this is a good part of the reason that people have found Lloyd Butfoy hard to reach at times...

cammer,

From RBT's web site:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> RBT Transmissions is the exclusive world-wide representative of ZF for the 5DS-25 Dash-0-1-2-M1 transaxles. They have also developed the proprietary six-speed RBT-6 transaxle.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a small company, and I expect Ford has been yanking their tail on this project, leaving them with little bandwidth for the little guys - there's another thread about that from a couple of weeks ago or so...

I talked with a couple of Ford engineeers from the GT project at the NAIAS, and they said it was not an RBT trans.Their comment to me was they wanted a "real" transaxle.
From what I could gather they were using a Ricardo?? trans.
The casing I saw was definetly not an RBT.

I went to that site and the first page after the intro, at the very bottom in the last sentence it says it is using an RBT.
Soooo is this wrong? Especially since this is a newer site you would think all info would be updated.

Hersh
smile.gif

The cost of most transaxles designed to handle 500 ft-lb of torque put them out of reach for most of us...and they aren't necessary. My 351 engine dynoed aroung 415 ft-lb. Pantera guys say the -2 ZF will handle that easily with no problems. Used or NOS -2 or M1 ZF's aren't cheap nor are parts. The pocket book is a good incentive not to abuse things.

The 6 speed RBT has been around for a while and costs as much as a small car itself. Hard to justify for most of us that run these cars on the street and aren't in racing or competition situations.

The Ford guys I spoke with seemed pretty adamant about the fact that it's not going to be an RBT but they were not very forthcoming about what it will be ,
one guy just said "it will be something else"
Another mentioned Ricardo!!?
Just relaying the message....dont shoot!!

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: Fran Hall ]

Hmmm... The specs page on that website does say Concept Specs, so the production car may well use something different. And if that's the case, my speculation above is all bunk.

I wouldn't be surprised to see paddle shifters as an optional or even standard feature on the new GT, as rumor has it the next-generation Mustang Cobra will be so equipped.

As for the tranny, who knows what gearbox will finally end up in the GT44 (GT45?) but I predict it will be highly desireable from a replica builder's point of view. If a gearbox can motivate the 3,000++++ (each plus sign represents 100 pounds
grin.gif
) pound GT44 with a 500+ hp blown engine, it will be damn-near unbreakable in a 2,300 pound GT40, even one with 335-series rear tires and big-block torque.

Fran ! no way would we shoot our only inside source ! Hey you probably get much more accurate scoop than we ever will.
grin.gif

I really don't care which trans they pick...I'd buy that thing in a NY minute. I do hope that the price is not too far out and that dealer gouging goes away after a year. Perhaps then I will consider the purchase. Until then I will keep the 1996 Viper coupe in my site for the future as well. I just happen to like that Viper alot too.

Hersh
smile.gif

Back