New Member-351W CAD modelling

Hello. I'm new to this site and forum.
Long time Ford enthusiast. Like most, I'm sure, I joined out of a life long appreciation for all things Ford Racing. I am a yacht designer by trade and have been 3D CAD modeling for 27+ years.
Yachts/boats are great but my true passion is engines and a long running aspiration is to completely reverse engineer a 351W for the purpose of developing custom accessories primarily for the marine market....automotive too if there's interest.
Early on in this process, I did approach Ford (both from the outside and internally) for a dumbed down FR Boss351 block model. So far, no luck. So, not one to easily give up, I'm slowly tearing down my own marine Windsor and accurately measuring/modeling her bit by bit....including a new set of GT40 heads (iron) I picked up from one of Roush's garage sale. I'm using Ford factory data I've scrounged for the machined surfaces and tolerances and coordinate (hand) measuring the castings. My Windsor will be rebuilt and fitted with (my) new accessories.
I do this for enjoyment and the challenge of accurately modeling complex machined geometry. It is painstaking work but it keeps me off the streets and its fun. If anyone has any interest in what I'm doing, send me a note. Cheers

Attachments

• PROGRESS 3.jpg
    PROGRESS 3.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 771
  • TIMING COVER 1.jpg
    TIMING COVER 1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 538
  • TIMING COVER 2.jpg
    TIMING COVER 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 450
  • GT-40 HEAD & COVER.jpg
    GT-40 HEAD & COVER.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 482
  • NEW SHEAVES 1.jpg
    NEW SHEAVES 1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 398
  • NEW SHEAVES 2.jpg
    NEW SHEAVES 2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 363
  • NEW SHEAVES 3.jpg
    NEW SHEAVES 3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 371
  • HEADERS 1.jpg
    HEADERS 1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 456
  • HEADERS 3.jpg
    HEADERS 3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 411
  • INDUCTION.jpg
    INDUCTION.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:
Hi Michel
Very nice work...
I have a CNC mill and work with 3D cad models most of the time to manufacture parts. Let me know if there is anything you need a hand with.

Cheers Craig Young

Attachments

• DSCF0720.jpg
    DSCF0720.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 515
Did you ever complete this modelling challenge? I’m trying to find an accurate 3D model of the 351W block!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ben - It’s been almost 5 years since this person last logged on. Just so you know the odds are against his seeing this post.

I know… but I’ve been on forums before where people have reached out to me and it’s been years later! So thought I’d try!

fantastic work Michel.
If your around drop back in and tell us how its going.
I would love to have copies of those cad files if they were available to purchase.
If only to see then sitting in the GT40 chassis model that I am working on. I don't really need them as the scanned model I have and the drawings from the ford racing books is good enough. Still would be nice to see.

Ryan

Back