New member, not exactly a GT40 build

I have been reading through the information on this site for a few weeks now, mainly as it relates to transaxles. Within the last few months I have decided to finally build the car I have been thinking about for years. In college, we designed a single seat, mid-engine, aircooled VW powered, car for our senior project. I said I would build it one day, and the time has come. Of course, I have also realized that this car needs another seat to share the fun, and needs V8 power. Why a V8? Because I love the sound, and I love the idea in general.

Over the last year or so, I have also become hooked on track days. A buddy and I now organize them; we are planning on at least 5 track rentals next year. So far, I have taken my 69 Vette, 69 Camaro, and 04 SRT-4 to the track. While the old cars generate a lot of comments and thumbs up from the other participants, they put a lot of stress on me. The Vette does pretty well around the track, but it's limited by its weight and it's very short gearing. The SRT is nice, but it's nothing special, and it needs to serve as my everyday car. I can't afford to have it down for any extended period.

The last straw was seeing a completely hand built, tube frame, C5 Corvette based car about 6 weeks ago. Seeing this car gave me the incentive to really get started. I am currently taking a Unigraphics class at the local community college so I can model the car in full 3D. I am also doing as much research as I can on the transaxle, as it will be the key piece to making the car work. Other design info: LS1 engine, C5 Corvette a-arms and spindles, Kirkey racing seats, Tilton floor mount pedals. The car will be for track use only as I see it now.

Thanks
Ken

I guess many people have had the occasional urge to design and build thier own race car. Well done for taking the next step. So do you expect it to resemble the GT40 in any way other than the obvious mid-engined layout and the two seats?

I really like the roof line of the GT40. However, how the roll hoop, halo, and down bars end up will depend on how my sightlines are affected. A few trips to the track is all it takes to understand how important good visibility is. There is nothing worse than a big forward looking blind spot when someone spins in front of you.

Building a body is not something I believe I currently have the skills to do. However, I would love to learn to shape metal. I have some basic tools including a shear, rolls, and bender, but not the tools required to make real shapes. I do have plans for an English wheel, and maybe I will start on that after the basic car is complete. However, the basic mechanicals will basically be identical to a GT40. The biggest possible difference I see is the placement of the radiator. I am considering mounting dual radiators in some sort of side pods.

This site has by far the most information regarding this type of build that I have found. Like I already said, the transaxle has always been the one thing keeping me from going this way. The revelation that an Audi box will work is really exciting to me. I have a bead on a complete Audi 90 for $300, but I haven't figured out if that trans will work. I would love to come across one of these $45 Audi transaxles I could use to start mocking things up.

Ken

Back