New member saying hello

Hello all -
I grew up in the Dearborn area, my Dad worked for the Ford museum.
As a teenager in the 60's I worked at the Ford owned Dearborn Inn which was the first airport hotel for Henry's airport - now the test track/proving grounds. My days were spent taking care of the 18 acres of grounds so whatever test mule thundered over for lunch got my attention. It was a wonderful time to be a curious 16 year old boy! I moved north many years ago but have stayed a member of the Museum all these years and have many pictures of the car collection. I have been thinking about living the fantasy and purchasing a GT40 - perhaps this summer. In the meantime I will be learning all I can here.
Thank you to all who have generously documented the processes involved in building these cars.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40's Ray!!!!

Sounds like you caught the same flu bug that I got at about the same time!

Thank you Randy.

When the GT40 test mule came across the street with a couple of engineers for lunch, I was like Richard Dreyfuss looking out his truck window in the "Close Encounters" movie.

Thanks all for the warm welcomes
A bit more about my experiences in Motown in the 60’s.
In 1968, through the influence of family and friends, I got a job on the janitorial crew at Ford R&D. This was explained to me the way into a career there, sweeping floors, emptying trash cans, whatever needed to be done from 4:30 pm until 1am, wandering through the design studios, fab areas, dyno cells, etc. There was a large garage space full of competitor’s cars in various stages of assembly. I remember seeing Ferrari’s, Jaguar’s, Porsche’s, Corvette’s, alongside the mundane everyday type Chevy’s, Chrysler’s, and so on. There was an E type Jag in there that had a corner cut out of it, from the middle of the driver’s door halfway across the car then straight back through the rear – looked like they had used a huge band saw – that impressed me.
After 6 months a job opened up for a Toolmaker apprentice and I chose that instead of pushing a broom.
Lots of great memories . . .
Here are a few pictures I took at the Museum a number of years ago (film).

Attachments

• GT40 mk4.jpg
    GT40 mk4.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Clark Lotus.jpg
    Clark Lotus.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 145
Back