New to GT40s

I am starting to research the different companies for GT40 replicas. I am realitically going to start the build in about two years. I want to do all the work possible myself. I am not looking for a turn-key or something almost ready to drive. I want the joy, and frustration, of doing this project myself. I probably will not be able to do any welding or major work like that, but I can manage the rest. I am looking for advice about the different companies that have different options available and how these companies rate against one another. I am especially interested in the NZ company. Any ideas?

G

Andrew

Two years is a long time.
The way things are progressing, the players and the kits could be very different in two years than what they look today!

Most GT40 kits available today can be built to a HIGH or LOW level of quality depending upon the builder.

Absolute best advice is to actually SIT and RIDE in a 40 before deciding which one to buy. A good looking car does NOT always translate into an enjoyable car to drive (assuming that's the intent). So in two years, there should be lots more 40's around to examine.
Good luck.

MikeD

Andrew-

The NZ car is, by all accounts, excellent for the money. The only downside is it doesn't come with a manual. Not that it can't be done, but it means more frustration and time (manhours).

Another forum member, Neal, has one on order and can give you more information. I talked with the owner of NZ Replication for almost a year. The total cost of the kit with many of the difficult to locate parts included was $22K (with shipping).

Be patient, take you time, build a spreedshet of all the parts and their costs. Then, start saving.

Good luck

-Bill

G

Andrew, get in touch with me or Ron Earp, moderator of this forum. I am in Raleigh and Ron is in Apex. I would be happy to show you my project, which is about 90%, so you can get a feel for what is involved without traveling too far. Ron is a little earlier on with his. His is a Roaring Forties (aussie) and mine is a Sabre (cum KVA). There is a MUCH broader range of choice now than when either of us started. That is probably a good thing, though it will make deciding a bit harder. Good Luck!

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Andrew,

Welcome! you'll find a lot of opinions here on the forum and it is a good source for information. I've got a Roaring Forties and think it is an excellent choice, you're welcome to come up and take a look at it anytime. And, Lynn is nearby you can take a look at his Sabre car, although you cannot get those any longer they will make a nice GT40 once completed. Basically we're both up in Raleigh, not toofar from you. Let me know if you'd like to come by, just give me some days notice. Take care,

Ron

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I have a GT40 Replication car on order. I spent quite a bit of time speaking with owner Phil Ware before I made the leap> I chose this company based on the quality of the car and his reasonable pricing. My car is due March/April. GT40 replicas can be expensive to build. I believe the cost of the NZ recreation and a the money I can save procuring bits and pieces significantly reduce the expense. For me, that's half the fun. If that's not your cup of tea go for a fully optioned kit. Check out Lynn and Ron's car, get your budget together, make the leap...

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Neal ]

Back