New to me GTD40 photos

Photos and some specs of my new GTD 40 can be found at "bring a trailer GT Developments GTD 40". It looks great in person to me. Luv it!

Malcolm

Supporter
Was reading the comments at the page above. One comment was about the rear clamshell looking a bit different. From chassis records I have here this is listed as originally being a Mk2 version and so if you look closely at the rear clam perhaps it was modiifed to look Mk1 instead?

Enjoy your new car Bill!

You are correct. It was originally a GTD40 MK11. I'd love to know what info you might have on vin 28391.
Here is what I know so far: It was acquired by the Bob Pond Collection of more than 110 cars sometime after it was built. Pond was a wealthy industrialist with a penchant for collecting classic cars and vintage airplanes (google "Pond Collection") Mr. Pond died in 2007 and the collections passed to his granddaughter Setorri Pond a well known socialite and heir to the Pond estate.
Setorri sold the entire collection to someone named Michael in 2011. In 2015, a Michael Zarabi donated the car to the Disabled Veterans Empowerment Network (google DEVN GT40 for story and videos). The DEVN group sent the GTD40 to the Just Driven group for restoration and conversion to MK1 style with Gulf livery (google Just Driven for build photos). It was completed in 2019 and loaned to South Bay Ford for display. It was returned to DEVN in 2021 and was sold for charity. The bring a trailer dealer acquired the car in Aug of 2022 and I bought it in Feb 2023. If anyone can fill in any early details, I'd be forever grateful.

Malcolm

Supporter
the only thing I could add is that the name of Bamford is listed next to this chassis number as the original customer but no first name or any other detail recorded.

If you wanted a GTD mk1 rear clam they can still be obtained if you know where to look. Shipping to US might be costly though!

Neil

Supporter
the only thing I could add is that the name of Bamford is listed next to this chassis number as the original customer but no first name or any other detail recorded.

If you wanted a GTD mk1 rear clam they can still be obtained if you know where to look. Shipping to US might be costly though!
"Bamford" of JCB?

As I have heard from Lee Dawson, GTD only made 7 mkII's body's.
I suspect if it was a GTD mkII, they must have replaced the rear clam, or there must be signs of heavy glassfibre work.

1678725826602.png

Great ,Thanks. Now for some more research. It seems to me the Bamford name floats around UK collector cars which would fit with my later history. There is a picture of it undergoing transformation at " DVEN.org/GT40-replica"

Neil

Supporter
Great ,Thanks. Now for some more research. It seems to me the Bamford name floats around UK collector cars which would fit with my later history. There is a picture of it undergoing transformation at " DVEN.org/GT40-replica"
J C Bamford, "JCB", was the sponsor of the world's fastest diesel streamliner an the salt flats of Bonneville, Utah in 2006. It was a very well supported team and an impressive car. Link to GT40: John Horsman said he might meet me there at Bonneville that year. When I arrived and did not find John I checked with the JCB team in their big data center tractor-trailer. Someone looked up, saw me in the open door and asked "Can I help you?" Yes, I said, I'm looking for John Horsman. He replied "Is he here? THE John Horsman?" Every head suddenly looked up at the mention of his name. Such was the reputation of his work at Ford Advanced Vehicles and Gulf Racing. A very good man.
Andy Green 2.JPG
British Push Vehicle z.jpg
JCB Dieselmax Start.JPG
JCB Dieselmax.JPG

Mike Pass

Supporter
Looks like a nice clean GTD for you to enjoy.
A few points you may find useful.
I assume you are in a hot part of the country and it gets very hot under the rear clip so it may help to make a few small improvements The exhaust pipes are very close to the clutch slave cylinder and can get badly cooked. I have put an ally shield over the top of the slave cylinder with insulation underneath. As you have a one direction feed to the Quad Weber IDF carbs and this feeds the left hand bank with a long pipe which is pretty close to the exhaust it may be a good idea to shorten the pipe to move it further away from the hot pipes or cover it with an insulated sleeve.
I have attached a pic of my GTD rear view so you can compare. My rear clip has the 9 hole rear top vent which allows a lot of heat to escape upwards when stopped in traffic. Your rear clip is quite closed in at the top which may trap a lot of heat. From the pics one of the lower exhaust pipes may be touching the rear cross member. I don't know if it will rattle or if you could hear it anyway!
The little opening flaps don't do much for venting hot air from the cabin which does get hot with engine behind, radiator in front, hot water pipes in the cabin, greenhouse windows and no opening windows. I use helicopter vents as in the attached pic which work very well in scooping in fresh air.
I hope this is useful. I see lots of familiar GTD things on your car. I have had my GTD for 10+ years now. Malcolm and many others GTD owners on this forum much longer than that. There is lots of knowledge and help available for you on this forum and also the GT40 Enthusiasts Club if you wish to join.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• GTD 1.jpg
    GTD 1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Mike GTD Mk1.jpg
    Mike GTD Mk1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 117
  • GTD 2.jpg
    GTD 2.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Helicopter vent.jpg
    Helicopter vent.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Mike, I wondered about the rear deck vent. It almost looks like they simply inverted the MK2 deck vent and finish painted it. Thanks for the other tips.

Looks like a nice clean GTD for you to enjoy.
A few points you may find useful.
I assume you are in a hot part of the country and it gets very hot under the rear clip so it may help to make a few small improvements The exhaust pipes are very close to the clutch slave cylinder and can get badly cooked. I have put an ally shield over the top of the slave cylinder with insulation underneath. As you have a one direction feed to the Quad Weber IDF carbs and this feeds the left hand bank with a long pipe which is pretty close to the exhaust it may be a good idea to shorten the pipe to move it further away from the hot pipes or cover it with an insulated sleeve.
I have attached a pic of my GTD rear view so you can compare. My rear clip has the 9 hole rear top vent which allows a lot of heat to escape upwards when stopped in traffic. Your rear clip is quite closed in at the top which may trap a lot of heat. From the pics one of the lower exhaust pipes may be touching the rear cross member. I don't know if it will rattle or if you could hear it anyway!
The little opening flaps don't do much for venting hot air from the cabin which does get hot with engine behind, radiator in front, hot water pipes in the cabin, greenhouse windows and no opening windows. I use helicopter vents as in the attached pic which work very well in scooping in fresh air.
I hope this is useful. I see lots of familiar GTD things on your car. I have had my GTD for 10+ years now. Malcolm and many others GTD owners on this forum much longer than that. There is lots of knowledge and help available for you on this forum and also the GT40 Enthusiasts Club if you wish to join.
Cheers
Mike
Mike, could you measure the 9 hole rear deck vent. I think I will look at maybe changing mine for better air flow. Thanks, Bill

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here is the 9 hole vent info.Big holes to let out engine and exhaust pipe heat when stationary in traffic.
I have taken pics with a tape measure so you can see the overall dimensions and hole sizes. Some vents have the hole swaged with a dimple die like mine which look nice. Some are just cut out of flat sheet which would be easy to have cut with CNC water jet or laser.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• 9 hole vent 2.jpg
    9 hole vent 2.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 9 hole vent 1.jpg
    9 hole vent 1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 92
Here is the 9 hole vent info.Big holes to let out engine and exhaust pipe heat when stationary in traffic.
I have taken pics with a tape measure so you can see the overall dimensions and hole sizes. Some vents have the hole swaged with a dimple die like mine which look nice. Some are just cut out of flat sheet which would be easy to have cut with CNC water jet or laser.
Cheers
Mike
Thank You!

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Bill
When I was editing Fortyfication (the quarterly magazine of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club) I printed an article by Mikes Cotes on making a 'Nine Port Grill' using wooden forming tools. It was in issue No,57, December 2002 which can be downloaded from the club's website. I am not sure if it is only available to club members though.

Brian.

Back