North American source of Renault UN1 transaxles ?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I'd like to know if anyone knows of a source of Renault UN1 transaxles in North America?

thanks
Don

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Search on http://car-part.com/. This is a national auto wrecker database. Deloreans are one of the few other than Reneault to use this box.

Not sure what your project is but you might consider the Audi 016 or 01E box as an alternative.

Thanks Neal,

I'll bookmark that URL.

I don't know if I should say it around here, but I'm just starting to collect parts for a Foreman Mk4 project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

BTW I'm just across the water (and a bit North) from you on Vancouver Island.

thanks again
Don

Howard Jones

Supporter
If I was doing it again I would buy a R21T from Mark Sibly at MDA with all the Quafe upgrades including the LSD. This is in keeping with "Do it right the first time= saving money"

Thanks Howard,

I tend to agree. Now, since I'm very new at this, what is MDA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks
Don

Howard Jones

Supporter
MDA in England is the current "linage" to GTD althought they are not the same company. Most of the known shortcommings of the GTD chassis, along with a general cleanup of the body pannels and other mods, have been fixed on the MDA. Also I believe that they are a good source for Renault gearboxes both Quafe'd and stock. Have a look at their webpage. They list R21T gearboxes in the parts section. OH and I have no business interest in MDA or GTD althought Mark Sibley did help me sort out a minor glitch with my gearbox that I got from GTD. He didn't make a dime off helping me over the internet via several internal pictures of my gearbox. If I had it to do again, MDA would be at the top of my shortlist of cars to build because of the help Mark gave me. Good guy! One other thing. These are fairly strong gearboxes, good for about 350hp if driven like YOU paid for it, but I think the Quafe (Bell) upgrade's should be somthing that is done at the outset of your project, at least in my opinion. For on thing used gearboxes are just that, used. With a fairly stought 302 in front of "a little worn" might end up meaning it will last a "little while" Then parts and someone to rebuild problems here in the states could end up costing more than the saving made buying a used box. I believe a new rebuilt Quafe R21 would last the life of the car if kept under 500hp and believe me that's plenty. Avoiding future problems always cost more up front but just about always saves money in the long run. Hell you're gonna have the car the rest of your life right? I intend to upgrade my R21 in a couple of years, after the paintjob, wilwoods, and BRM wheels are paid for.

Thanks Howard,

I wondered where GTD went to. I'll check out their website and bookmark it. We're going to England in Aug and will be checking things out then.

cheers
Don

Back