Oil Leak from ZF

I have an oil leak from the rear cover plate of my ZF-0. When stationary it is escaping from around the lowest 3 or 4 M8 fastening studs before seeping past the nut/cover plate surface.

I have tried fitting soft Copper washers and using PTFE tape both to no avail. It is not loosing a lot of Oil, just a few drops a day but any advice on how to cure the problem would be welcome.

Tom

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I think you'll have to pull the cover off and replace the gasket Tom. The oil should not be able to escape up the long studs that hold the cover on.

Ross

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Tom, I have the DXF (autocad) file for the ZF gaskets. I would be happy to send to you. Then you can take to someone with a laser engraver and they would could cut one out for you out of gasket material. If your interested email me at [email protected] The files I have are for -2 if that makes any difference.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Tom, I have the dxf files (autocad) for the ZF gaskets, if you email me I will send them to you. Take the file to a laser engraver with gasket material and they can cut it out in seconds or I would be happy to mail you one if you pay the post. [email protected]

The files I have are for the -2 if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Ross
Thanks for the advice. I dont have any manuals on the ZF. Is it ok to remove the rear cover? I have been reluctant to do so in case it disturbs the setup in some way.

Jack

If it is a simple job to remove the rear plate I would be happy to pay the postage on a replacement gasket. Thankyou for the kind offer

Tom

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Tom
When you remove the cover you do have to take care.There are 2 bearings with shims that will either stay inside the cover or stick to the back of the bearing, if the latter is the case get the shims off the bearing and place them in their correct location in the cover immediately. Make sure they cannot fall out. There is also a spring loaded pin which is part of the reverse gear detent.I suggest a manual would be a good Idea and if you have no luck sourcing one in the UK, you can purchase through the Pantera club in the US or I would have one here.

Ross

Back