Original Cars Rear Chassis.

I'm looking at reworking the rear section of my Tornado to look a little more like the original cars - the cradle type frame that bolts onto the rear of the tub and holds the rear bodywork. I think that it was made from 3/4" square tube but not totallly sure - it could be 1" looking at some of the piccies I have.

Paul:
The originals I saw also looked like 3/4 square tube, don't know what wall thickness. I believe it may be 16 or 14 gauge. The square tube is definitely easier to rivet to when it comes to installing the undertray. The unit was definitely bolted up. The tubes that run fore and aft are curved slightly at the bottom to approximate the curve under the rear decklid. This setup is definitely nicer looking, and it eliminates the crossbar hinge used on some chassis which is visible.
The hinge plates on the originals were magnesium (I have a pair and they are lightweight) and were slotted so that when the decklid is open the slot is vertical and the deck can be just lifted off. When closed they face backward and the deck is secure.
I made a pair of hinge plates out of 1/2" alum. plate and they work just fine. The trick is to make sure to spread the load at the attachment point to prevent cracks.
I say go for it, it is a really nice look, but it requires some accurate measurements, and some creative notching where the tubes bolt up to the chassis as there is an extreme angle between the frame and the thru tubes that bolt up.
Cheers
Phil

Brian Magee

Supporter
Paul

Because the tubes are curved and angled they also need a twist on them to keep the underside flat to receive the undertray. I believe you are going to Bearwood College show on the 24th. I will have my car there and you can have a look at my tray.

Brian.

I'm now stuck for a good picture on an original tub, of the little tube (Not sure what its called) that connects the upper connecting link of the upright to the centre crossbeam. I think it looks a little like a dog bone!!!!
I've attached a pic where the tube is painted black and bolts to the chassis next to the ZF top mount.

Attachments

• attachment-2.jpg
    attachment-2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 306

Dave Collins

Supporter
Paul,

This is a cropped part of a close up of 1025 taken with the previous picture at Spa.

Also some others from 1018,1073,1077 at Le Mans.

Does this show what you are after?

Dave

Attachments

• 260909_Spa6H_071-sml.jpg
    260909_Spa6H_071-sml.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 100708LMC_eos_283.jpg
    100708LMC_eos_283.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 100708LMC_eos_286.jpg
    100708LMC_eos_286.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 100708LMC_eos_309.jpg
    100708LMC_eos_309.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 100708LMC_ix_013.jpg
    100708LMC_ix_013.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Thanks a heap Dave - those pics are exactly what I needed - I did find a pick of how ERA do theirs and that is slightly different again like most stuff on these cars!!!

Back