Original GT40 Suspension

Hi all. Wondering if anyone may have the original suspension geometry in CAD for both front and rear. Not looking to replicate, just interested as a reference - did a search of the site but nothing obvious surfaced.

Also, given I subscribe the view there is no such thing as an original idea, does any have experience/drawings to suit a GT40 built around Mustang 2 uprights/spindles? If so hoping someone is willing to share. Suspect anyone doing a ground up build will have gone thru this exercise. Thanks in advance. Ian

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Rather than use the gt40 as reference I would start with what you intend to use and play with that in cad. Also decide what the car is to be used for and set up the geometry accordingly.

I'm no expert on it but will be creating a program to check my Mk I geometry at the front. I also remember reading here about wheel set up for a gt40, camber, toe in angles etc. Bump steer has been also covered here with various ways of checking that.

The original rear geometry uses rod links from the bulkhead, you don't see that in modern cars, but look at some 1966-67 F1 cars, it was cutting edge back in the day.

Andy

Attachments

• Ferrari-312-67-F1_6.jpg
    Ferrari-312-67-F1_6.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 662
Hi Andy.

Thx. Familiar with the suspension, particularly the rear. I am not anticipating any problems there.

It was more the front. Have settled on the mustang uprights (readily available). Am experienced in the basic suspension geometry and methods for addressing bumpsteer, scrub, roll centres, etc for a given design.

Just thought someone may have already gone down this road with these particular upright in a GT40. Whether they used the std or 2" drop option, etc. Anyway all good.

Was thinking of a combinations of sphericals, rodends and maybe ??nylon bushes -pending engineer acceptance. Something along the lines of the suspension in the attached thumbnail for the front - quite like how they have done the top wishbone/arms, nice and simple. From the AMGT40 resto site. Cheers Ian

Attachments

• amgt40-front suspension.jpg
    amgt40-front suspension.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 4,178

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi Andy.

Thx. Familiar with the suspension, particularly the rear. I am not anticipating any problems there.

It was more the front. Have settled on the mustang uprights (readily available). Am experienced in the basic suspension geometry and methods for addressing bumpsteer, scrub, roll centres, etc for a given design.

Just thought someone may have already gone down this road with these particular upright in a GT40. Whether they used the std or 2" drop option, etc. Anyway all good.

Was thinking of a combinations of sphericals, rodends and maybe ??nylon bushes -pending engineer acceptance. Something along the lines of the suspension in the attached thumbnail for the front - quite like how they have done the top wishbone/arms, nice and simple. From the AMGT40 resto site. Cheers Ian

The Alan Mann front suspension was considerably different from the FAV cars. I understand they had less anti-dive and the upper arms are different as you can see.

I understand they had less anti-dive

Can you elaborate some more? to do this wouldn't they have had to alter the chassis pick up points?

will have to go and have a closer look at the tub to see if I can notice any difference.

i suppose you could get different anti dive by changing the lengths of the wishbones as the ratio of top to bottom coupled with the angle of the foot box would give a varying amount of anti dive. this would also change the camber gain and roll centre as well though.

Ryan

Back