Original GT40 values?

Hi guys,

I'm curious as to what you think the current values are for genuine GT40s? When I visited Lee Maxted-Page in the UK last November (he's a fairly well-known exotic car broker who has sold numerous GT40s over the years), he told me that the GT40 market had peaked earlier in 2006 and had nosed over slightly.

But a few days ago I saw an article in a recent Vintage Racecar magazine, which has a current price guide for GT40s. According to them, the values range from 1 million for a restoration project to 2.5 million for a perfect, needs-nothing, all-original car (of which there are only a handful, as most GT40s were raced, crashed, retubbed, rebodied, etc. and so forth).

This is substantially more than I thought. Does anyone have any further insight? With Shelbys which were worth $50-75K now selling for $200K, and Cobras which were worth $250K now going for upwards of a million, have GT40s taken off in a similar way when I wasn't looking?

I wonder what will happen to the GT40 market when all us "Banny Boomers" are no longer here on earth. My son could care less about race cars of the sixties. He looks upon them as Dad's old race cars. I really didn't care for my Dad's old "Hot Rods"! If I could live to be one hundred and twenty, maybe I could pick up a GT40 cheap!

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
True cars of significance will always hold their value. How many of us feel more passionate about (our father's favorite cars:) a 1929 blower Bentley, or 1938 Alfa 8C than a GT40?

They too might have "peaked" some while ago but all are still true icons and are still "unobtanium".

When I visited Coys new showroom in early November (I think) they had a car (possibly 1048) which they said they had just sold for about USD 2 million

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Real cars always come back - time after time. IMHO good replicas may well stand the test of time. Silhouettes or look-a-likes probably not.
The car above has been used in a TV series in the UK - Life on Mars -
and the radio and TV news, since the series has ended last Tuesday, has
been reporting a ground swell of interest and cars like the one above fetching crazy prices. It was a Mark III Ford Cortina. Which had a great back seat as well !!!:pepper:

Back