Original GT40s at Classic Le Mans

I should mention that the Porsches were in a different group and therefore not on the track at the same time as the early GT40s - very impressive sound nonetheless. The first time I had seen a 917 in action. Of the truly iconic cars from the 60s/70s I think the GT40 and 917 are at the top.

Chris

Dave Collins

Supporter

John - great pictures, especially the on track ones. Just to complete the set attached are the pictures I took of 1020 which was in the Museum until Friday lunchtime and was then moved out into the Heritage Club area.

Dave

Attachments

• 1020(1).jpg
    1020(1).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 402
  • 1020(2).jpg
    1020(2).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 436
Thanks for all the nice comments. I am really glad I am able to do this on here. This is a really great forum with real enthusiasts, so I enjoyed doing this even when at Le Mans.

Today I had to instruct at a trackday at Zandvoort (I even did three cautious laps in Lucas van Altena's GTD40 and made it slide round one or two corners), but I will include some more detailed pictures of the original cars. You can never have enough of these when recreating a GT40.

John

PS. Yes, that 330 P3/4 is #0844 :2thumbsup:

One of #GT 111 in my opinion a special car although I would have painted the front matt black

Img_4207.jpg

I must admit that I don't know much about GT40 chassis numbers yet, but this car seemed to me to be one of the 3 cars that crossed the line in 1966.

Img_4748.jpg

Img_4714.jpg

John

Last edited:
A very original (looking) GT40 that hasn't been restored to concours condition. To me that gives the car "patina".

Img_4744.jpg

Img_4745.jpg

Img_4746.jpg

What a difference with late chassis #1080, particularly looking at the brakes...

Img_4747.jpg

Img_4164.jpg

This car stays in the UK for the Australian owner and he allows them to take the car out to special events. Needless to say they took very good care of it and it wasn't raced like some of the front running cars...

John

Just to enjoy...

Img_4208.jpg

Img_4209.jpg

and #1020 outside in the display area

Img_4718.jpg

That's all folks! (although I do have some pictures of the Lola T70s and Cobras)

John

Excellent pictures of some very nice machines.

Thanks for taking the time to show them to us!

Kirby

Ok have a new chassis (FIA certified )that we could not get to LM this year. including Gurmey Westlake Heads $150,000 (Shropshire), Our boy James is now 3rd in British Rally Championship and we need cash to continue .
Graham Wozencroft Motorsports
Napa,Ca

Ok have a new chassis (FIA certified )that we could not get to LM this year. including Gurmey Westlake Heads $150,000 (Shropshire), Our boy James is now 3rd in British Rally Championship and we need cash to continue .
Graham Wozencroft Motorsports
Napa,Ca

Ok ,note to yourself don't get near the computer when you have been celebrating and drunk way too much !!. Sorry ,for that price I bought it myself !!!! Gurmey heads , man was I wasted. Apologies to all.

Don't get the last two replies (and don't want to either), but I did add a few detailed photos of the original 40s.

John

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Don't get the last two replies (and don't want to either), but I did add a few detailed photos of the original 40s.

John

PWD

Posting While Drunk......done it myself often. Thank God for the "edit" button.....................Perhaps I have been partaking too much of the product that comes out of his "Wine caves" (the cool, undergorund cellars where the magic happens.......)

Hi John,

Great pics, including those of my car....
Very smart that you have seen the difference in body heigth on some of the (Lanzante-prepared) cars. They have a lot of changes and their speed and handling is now much improved from the original (I thinks some of the specs too....)

HHH,

What are your GT 40 ride heights, back and front? Any idea of what would be Lanzante´s ones? Just curious, I had noticed the super low setting Lanzante always uses for his cars

Victors,

I don´t think the chassis to floor size is much different, it just seems that the bodies are a lot lower.........
But that would mean a quite extensive change to the whole car.
Don´t have the ride heights here; when I get them from my mechanics I will let you know.

Back