Original Mangusta Dash-1 gearbox on E-bay

Hi guys,

Gearbox ZF. De tomaso Mangusta Pantera | eBay UK

The seller is Philippe Olzyck; he's in Belgium (or France, he gets around) and the gearbox is in Italy. It's from a wrecked Mangusta that has been totally parted out, many years ago. He's selling the chassis, wheels, A-arms etc. also in separate auctions.

He lists the gearbox as a "Mangusta/Pantera" box, but this is clearly set up for Mangusta/GT40 operation. I've since learned that it has the more desirable 4.22 final drive (earlier Mangustas used a crazy steep 4.50 final drive, resulting in a max speed of about 120 mph at 6000 rpm!)

Dash-1 gearboxes sometimes came with very low internal ratios; early Panteras had a 4.22 final drive, but a 5th gear that was the same as the 4th gear in the later cars. But this one apparently is equipped with the later, taller fifth gear ratio. From another friend who has e-mailed for details, I got the following information about the gearing in this box:

gearbox:

type: 5DS-25 -1

1° - 2,42

2° - 1,42

3° - 1,09

4° - 0,96

5° - 0,705

R - 2,86

TACHO - 2,4

DIFF - 4,22

====

Most of the ZFs I've seen with a .96 4th gear, have a .846 5th gear. And too, most ZFs I've seen that have a .705 5th gear, have a .846 4th gear. So this one would have a bit of a jump from 4th to 5th, but certainly not excessive.

Note too that it has an interesting rear cover, which incorporates a gear oil filler, also used to check the level. When I recently had a Pantera Dash-2 gearbox rebuilt by Lloyd Butfoy for GT40 use (now all I need is $100K to buy the rest of the car!), he swapped one of these Mangusta rear covers over, a very nice touch....

I wouldn't anticipate being able to just throw this gearbox into a car and drive away; I would view it as a core for a rebuild. Note that because it's a Dash-1, it requires a different bellhousing from the more common Dash-2 gearboxes. The Dash-1 uses the same case as the original GT40 gearbox, meaning it would bolt straight up to an original-style bellhousing as offered by Gelscoe. Besides the fact that the bolt pattern is different between the Dash-1 and Dash-2 gearboxes, it's my understanding (unconfirmed) that the diameter of the mounting face is different by more than an inch.

Bid and plan accordingly....

Back