Original Monocoque construction

Peter Barnes

Supporter
I am making the ribs, The drawing 2230 shows the rib width to be 2 .75" for the front 5 pairs, However drawing 22071/2 and 2070 show the width to be narrower , that is 2.5" for the rear 2 pair of ribs . Is this correct ?

thanks, Peter.

It appears that way. The extra width is all in the center section. 2230 shows 1.5" where as the other 2 show only 1.25". So presumably the same pressing as used for 2230 left and right halves was just trimmed up an extra 1/8" either side. I doubt anyone will notice what you do. it is probably only supper critical if you are using original bladder fuel tanks and swirl pots. Just make sure you get the mating angle correct on the lower radius rod tunnel or what ever that is called.

I haven't got that far with dissecting the drawings. still working on the dash and steering area.

I have acquired some Ford Zephyr MK IV dash vents. Just trying to work out where they need to be cut and welded into the chassis and how the steel vent tubes get fabricated to turn the corner around the fuel fillers.

Are you guys working from original blueprints? If so, where did you find them? I've been searching for a definitive document that shows exactly how the GT40's were laid out.

Pedro

Supporter
An EBay search will return a couple guys selling them, I don’t think anyone is selling the complete set of drawings but it may get you started.

Nothing to do with me but I figure the more the merrier, more cooperation between the people building them, I hope.

Search for gt40 blueprints

It appears that way. The extra width is all in the center section. 2230 shows 1.5" where as the other 2 show only 1.25". So presumably the same pressing as used for 2230 left and right halves was just trimmed up an extra 1/8" either side. I doubt anyone will notice what you do. it is probably only supper critical if you are using original bladder fuel tanks and swirl pots. Just make sure you get the mating angle correct on the lower radius rod tunnel or what ever that is called.

I haven't got that far with dissecting the drawings. still working on the dash and steering area.

I have acquired some Ford Zephyr MK IV dash vents. Just trying to work out where they need to be cut and welded into the chassis and how the steel vent tubes get fabricated to turn the corner around the fuel fillers.

Hi Ryan, would you be able to help me out with acquiring the blueprints? I am working on a 1/24 Fujimi Ford GT MKII Ken Miles edition, and would like to get my hands on the blueprints to properly build parts for my model. It would be greatly appreciated, please send me a direct mail. Thanks, Justin.

Peter Barnes

Supporter
I am making the ribs, The drawing 2230 shows the rib width to be 2 .75" for the front 5 pairs, However drawing 22071/2 and 2070 show the width to be narrower , that is 2.5" for the rear 2 pair of ribs . Is this correct ?

thanks, Peter.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

thanks, Peter.
Peter
Maybe your second post with the same question will remind some folk not to drift on threads or write for the sake of it.

There is provision for six rib spaces in the left sponson bladder and seven on the right driver's side.
Specifically, the two rear ribs on the right side are narrower to allow better fitment of the sparged fuel collector tank box which drops twixt these two ribs.
There is no difference in the gap widths of the corrugations on the "Premier" GT40 fuel bladder, they are all shown as 46mm on their original drawing.
Hope this helps.

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Peter
Maybe your second post with the same question will remind some folk not to drift on threads or write for the sake of it.

There is provision for six rib spaces in the left sponson bladder and seven on the right driver's side.
Specifically, the two rear ribs on the right side are narrower to allow better fitment of the sparged fuel collector tank box which drops twixt these two ribs.
There is no difference in the gap widths of the corrugations on the "Premier" GT40 fuel bladder, they are all shown as 46mm on their original drawing.
Hope this helps.

Hi James,
Yes "thread drift" is an issue on this site ! That's why I chose not have a build log !
Thanks for your re assuring info
Keep safe,
Peter

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Peter,
No problem, I have already sent you a copy of the Premier drawing but my email is down for the moment.

Pedro

Supporter
Yes "thread drift" can be an issue on this forum provably because most of us just tend to reply to the last entry on the thread rather than going back to the top of the thread, I know I've done it myself, or it could be the title of the thread, original monocoque construction instead of looking for information specific to the ribs, original monocoque construction is very general, for me anyway.

In any case I think from now on I'll keep the little I know about the cars to myself so I don't inconvenience anyone; There are enough experts on the forum as it is.

Peter,

I will try and be helpful where i can. Sorry if i caused the thread drift, i was unsure how far you are along with your plans and construction, I was also only trying to give you some information as to where i am at, so that you can assess the validity of my reply.

Keep well

Regards Ryan

thanks, Peter.
I see the differences on the three drawings but I don't see a drawing for the layout of where the different ribs go......

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Check your fuel cell fittings drawings and the bladder drawing, I think the edge of the internal nut-plate flange conflicts with the wider flanges of the 2.75" ribs. Your will need a perfectly flat surface inside the sponson for a safe seal.
Or measure your large square fuel cell nut-plate which goes inside of the cell and see if you can get a flush sealed joint between the nut-plate, the bladder cell and a flat underside face of your sponson orifice.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Have a look at this.
An original GT40 sparge tank fitted to my chassis.
fullsizeoutput_b70.jpeg

Back