Originality Question

Neil

Supporter
If a restoration of an original GT40 is underway and you see a way of correcting an original design fault or a way of doing something better, I assume that "originality" would dictate against changing anything, even for the better. What about if you are building or restoring a GT40 replica? How major would a change need to be to be objectionable?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This is a tough one....
Technology and manufacturing processes have been so well refined over the last 60 years, it would be darned difficult to find areas that would not benefit from improvement.
The originals had bare mild steel tubs that were painted but not sealed particularly well and many of them rotted from the inside out with rust. I would hazard a guess that none of them that have been restored to perfection were left with the steel unprotected as the originals...

A original GT40 should be restored but bolt on parts that can be changed back with no harm I think would be Ok. Restoring or building a new car , improvements would be fine it's not an actual historical car so no harm.

I guess it depends what you’re after. Superformance offer the “Future Forty” which has updated wheels, brakes and lights. Those three things alone would probably make a huge difference. At what point do you loose the essence of the experience.
I think something like a charcoal canister and being able to run modern unleaded fuel is probably a very good thing.

Talk to the Bloomington Gold guys about this regarding vintage Corvettes. Or the Ferrari people and their "Classiche" group. Same answer. Original is original is original. But that doesn't mean it makes logical sense. But I am not sure when you say design flaw, exactly what you mean? Something better is very clear - original does not necessarily = better. Design flaw? Do we have an example of a design flaw on the GT40?

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
If it can be seen it should be original. Do I advocate for billet crank, uprated rods and pistons when I build an MG TD engine you betcha! Because if the crank lets go or a rod, that block that has the special detail on it or number or what ever is not replaceable. Make engine proof and reliable for areas that cannot be seen or detected. This way it can be enjoyed for future generations and not be a static museum piece. That is what I love about the Simione museum. Many of the cars are as is as found ect. they flog them around. I also like Jay Leno's approach, he does the crank, Rod, piston thing, but Restore them 100% drive them down to 20% and restore them again!

Neil

Supporter
Talk to the Bloomington Gold guys about this regarding vintage Corvettes. Or the Ferrari people and their "Classiche" group. Same answer. Original is original is original. But that doesn't mean it makes logical sense. But I am not sure when you say design flaw, exactly what you mean? Something better is very clear - original does not necessarily = better. Design flaw? Do we have an example of a design flaw on the GT40?
Sure- the GT40 has always had too much aerodynamic lift in the front, for example.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
What about if you are building or restoring a GT40 replica? How major would a change need to be to be objectionable?

To me, this is simple. Build or restore it to your tastes or desires. It's a replica. There is no provenance or history to preserve or destroy. Do what floats your boat.

If you're trying to replicate a specific chassis or point in time, you've already answered the question- make it look as close as possible. Mine is built as though it were being built today, so EFI, radial tires, AC, etc... Without any historical significance to preserve, there should be nothing precluding you from making it exactly what you want it to be. That's one of the fun things about this hobby.

Plenty of people have done all sorts of wild things with their 40's- carbon chassis, 17"/18"/19" wheels, fender vents, wings, 6 speed gearboxes, etc... Superformance had their Future40 with all manner of wings and splitter, and I may be mistaken but I think they had the Ecotech V-6 in it?

Even the most basic thing in the states is we usually opt for LHD instead of the original RHD.

Make it what you want.

Back