Paint

Pat, that sounds like fair pricing. In Calif. you can easily spend 500 to 1000 on materials - depending on the products you use. Acrylic Laquer can be cheaper but I think most people are opting for Base coat/clear coat with hardner. Enviromental laws have jumped prices in the last few years. Permits for this type of business have become more difficult and shop labor can easily run over $50.00 per hour. It pays to let the shops concentrate on the insurance money and fit your job into the holes!

40bud I don't doubt your figures. Its just that I recon that anyone being asked to pay that amount for a paintjob would need to be suspicious. I am sure that there are painters out there with a "reputation" that would see $$$$ if one were to utter the words "I want the best, money is no object" while being presented with an exotic.

Some quick sums...

Subtract $4000 for materials, that allows $16000 labor costs. At $50/hr & 40Hrs/week, thats 8 weeks work... without distractions or waiting for paint to dry.

Is this realistic? Maybe with air-brushed artwork and paint inside the doors.

Bud and Chris, I think you are both right!!
I am having my car painted for $5500. The first two body shops that I talked to gave a range from $8000 to $12000. Their reasoning,,,,"we have to make money of your car". It is simple, they can do insurance jobs (changing a bumper) and make 2K in half a day.

I was ready to go to the body shop that wanted to charge $8000, when I got a call from this body shop that was 30 miles away. The guy had heard about my car from a freind of a friend and was crazy about GT40s
shocked.gif

After checking out his shop and seeing a Viper and an NSX being worked on, I took the plunge. It will not be quick (2-4 months) but it will hopefully be good. By the time he is done, he won't make any money off of it but he won't loose anything either (he had to also fix the poor glass job I did on the Gulf Flares).

I also have a simillar story on my GTD carpets. The set I had was blue, I wanted black. I contacted people in UK and went to local Upholstry shops and got horrible pices ($400 to $800). So I took all the 18 piecs, went to a low income neigborhood in Modesto and a great guy working from his backyard duplicated all the pieces (down to GTD's buttons) for $200. i then sold my blue set to Fran Hall for $200 (Hi Fran).

I can go on and on and on (Same thing is true about Brake upgrade for GTDs, outrageous "BS" prices in my opinion). You can get a Mustang II Wilwood Brake upgrade kit for front with 4 pot calipers, 11" rotors and all the brackets for $377 at speedway (Xmas sale). Is the Wilwood setup for GT40 Gold plated??!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Just my 2 cents

Has anyone tried powder coating a gt 40 or any car for that matter. I plan on building a gt 40 kit car after college, but thats a while off. But I was curious if anyone has tried powder coating, cause I have the ability to powder coat, and have done it 100's of times, just not with anything car related. So anyone seen any powder coated car?

Good advice Dave, I used to work for a restoration shop and I agree that it's not a PARTICULARLY difficult skill BUT it IS a skill and has to be learned and most of it is in the preparation and attention to cleanliness and using the right equipment and a proper spray booth.

I agree, take time to learn how to do it...identify a place where you can use GOOD equipment and a proper spray booth and give it a shot. If you mean to "wing it" in your garage with a spray gun from Home Deopt, forget it and pay someone to do it.

Don't ya need an oven to 'cure' the power-coat after it's been sprayed on? That would also nix any non-metallic parts. Can't powder-coat glass I don't believe. Would also need an oven to fit a large chassis. I've seen big ovens, but none large enough to do a sub-structure.

G

Yes you do need to heat cure powder coat and you are absolutely right: a fiberglass body is not something you want to heat cure!

There are autoclaves that are plenty big to do the job though. In Denver, NC there is one in which they cure up everything from carbon fiber valve covers to composite chassis for Grand Am sports cars. They used to make RP I cars, but now they are doing Daytona Prototypes with the rule changes in that series. As you can guess, these chassis are carbon fiber also. The only way to get the absolute proper ratio of resin to fiber, economically, is to use preimpregnated (prepreg for short)carbon fiber. This material is kept refrigerated and then laid up in carbon fiber molds. When the layups are complete the whole thing goes into an autoclave which is around the size of a single car garage to be heated to cure. The tooling must be able to handle the heat of curing as well, so it must be made up of carbon fiber also. The builder of these carbon fiber racing chassis, who I consulted with in researching the feasibility of a composite GT40 chassis, estimated that building the tooling for a composite chassis would cost around $200K. (If anyone wants to invest in a carbon fiber chassis for a GT40, let me know!) Once the tooling is complete and based on runs of at least 10 units at a time, the chassis themselves would cost in the neighborhood of $20K-$25K a copy.

Back