Pallak valve wiring

Can anyone show me a drawing on how to wire the relays to make a Pollak valve work. I have a R and L fuel pump switch on the dash. I would really appreciate your help.

Re: Pollak valve wiring

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to just use the 2 switches I have on the dash. I was trying not to use the 1 switch in the diagram. Thanks

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Probably not as the double pole double throw switch changes the polarity of the current so the valve moves.

I cannot think of a way of using two switches

Ian

I inatially got a set of relays linked to open the valve, but they are not working and don't activate the valve. Will probably send the whole thing back to ERA.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I inatially got a set of relays linked to open the valve, but they are not working and don't activate the valve. Will probably send the whole thing back to ERA.

Sorry, can't let a wiring challenge go unattempted.... What switches do you have on your dash you want to use? One that selects fuel from the left tank and one that selects fuel from the right? Are there fuel pump(s) that are also controlled by those switches? And what state do you want the sytem in when they are both on and when they are both both off? (Seems like a dumb question but it might not be).

Re: Pollak valve wiring

Attached is a piece of the wiring diagram I did for my ERA concerning fuel pump hook up. Two relays, two switches and a 6 port motorized Pollak valve. The Pollak valve contains switch contacts as well as the motor. One switch shuts the motor off when the pump is in position. Another internal switch is supposed to be used to switch fuel sending units to a single gauge. I have the internal diagram somewhere, not sure where right now. The Pollak valve connections are labeled A thru E.

Several points to note.

Since I'm running fuel injection, my ECU switches the NEUTRAL leg to start and stop the chosen pump. Said another way, my ECU will ground the chosen pump relay coil (chosen by the fuel pump switches on the dash). If you're not running EFI or running an EFI that switches the positive leg, you'll need to alter the schematic to suit.

I added a small LED pilot light just under and between the two pump switches on the dash. The LED lighting is positive feedback that the Pollak valve has switched properly. It uses the Pollak switch normally used to switch fuel gauges since the GT has an individual gauge for each tank.

The pumps are interlocked via the relays. Example....If the left pump is running and you switch the right pump switch on, the left pump continues to run and inhibits the right from running. The Pollak valve does NOT switch.
The right pump will start and the Pollak valve will switch when you turn the switch for the left pump off. The LED will light to indicate proper switching of the Pollak valve has taken place.
Works visa-versa for either pump.

Hope this helps.

Oh, the file name? The wife nicknamed the car "Moneypit" early on.

Dave

Attachments

• Moneypit fuel pumps.PDF
    29.2 KB · Views: 328
I'm having fearsom send back the whole Pollak valve/relay assembly for evaluation. This has worked before, but maybe the Pollak valve has changed.

After having a great coversation with Ted at ERA about defective parts I decided to try new relays, amazing the pollak valve works.Thanks to all who have helped me on this project. I will post some new photos of my project in the next few weeks. I have not posted anything in quite a while. I spent a long time teaching myself to tig weld so I could make my own headers. I wanted them to be a piece of art. They really do look great. The ERA is a terrific car. Everyone at the company has been great deal with. Thanks again Jim Fletcher

Back