Pebble Beach AUg 17 Auction

Christies have announced the following :

Conceived in honor of Ford Motor Company's Centennial, the highly-anticipated 2005 Ford GT (estimate: $150,000-180,000) is a modern tribute to motorsports' most famous endurance race car, the GT40. Ford GT chassis No. 10 will be the first one of Ford's supercar sold to the public. The car will be produced to the successful bidder's specification, including the color and options, for delivery in 2004 when production begins.

Is there anything Christies don't try to take a cut out of?
These cars will no doubt sell without Christies bumping the price up and forcing them into the hands of the speculators! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

That's business - you can't forbid something like this in a free market. But if somebody purchased such a way overpriced car it's his own fault....if you have the money to win an auction from Christies you should also be able to buy this car for a reasonable price from a serious dealer.
That's my opinion - of course there are other's possible.

Staggering price for first car in charity auction

The first model of Ford's GT car was auctioned over the weekend. The charity auction expected the car to go for around $180,000 - a $50,000 premium over the expected price of $130,000. The winning bid was for $500,000!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
That's business - you can't forbid something like this in a free market. But if somebody purchased such a way overpriced car it's his own fault....if you have the money to win an auction from Christies you should also be able to buy this car for a reasonable price from a serious dealer.
That's my opinion - of course there are other's possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the production numbers are going like this (from a Ford Source at the PB Show) 1000 production run per year and looking like a 3 year run. Figure out how many ford dealers will have one (something like 2000+) and you will probably find that you will be paying a bit more then the 'Sticker' price. Got a bunch of good photos of the bare chassis and the mule car, as well as my friend got to drive the Red Early Production version (Not the red proto next to the new 'stang). Car sounds good, a bit mellow but like the Pantera, but less mean. The Proto car had the Ricardo trans, but I was a dumb ass and forgot to check on the one that my friend drove. I got stuck running chase car in a metalic lime green saab. One interesting thing is the production had the exhaust route down under the engine vs above on the proto. No room for it after the top triangulated braces in place I guess.

That my 2cents, and of course your mileage may vary. An yes I would have one if I could /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sandy

Sandy,
I absolutely agree with you in one point - I'd also like to have one if I could... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And I think the first cars will be sold for more than the sticker price for sure. There are always people who want to be the first to receive their new toy - without consideration about the cost. But time will tell what happens later - I assume the market for this car is limited, and I could imagine that in 2008 you can get one of them for less than the sticker price....we'll see....

You mentioned some pictures of the bare chassis and mule car - any chance to get them mailed?

Volker

Did anyone happen to see the 53rd Pebble beach Concours d'Elegance, where they displayed some vintage GT40's, and the new GT?

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I don't yet have them all up, and I have to get my CF Card back from my cousin who also want the photos, here is a link to what I have, mostly the new GT, a few vintage ones from the show as well as witty comments :)

Try this link

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]

Should get you to my Yahoo Photo Album...

Sandy

Can anyone confirm a comment I heard at Monterey. The comment was that Fords GT will have a limited run because DOT specs are up for a big change in 07 and this car won't be able to comply with the new regs.

The July 2003 issue of Car and Driver has an article on the Ford GT, and it has this to say:
[ QUOTE ]
A total of 4500 cars will be hand-built by selected UAW employees at Ford's plant in Wixom, Michigan. The production will end--due to the start of new crash regulations--by September 2006.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back