Porsche 930 Transaxle, Half Shafts, Angles

TBH, we always have a spare set built up ready to go on if they looking like they're ready for a service partway through an event/season, they're not a huge amount of money so it's worth a few spares.

Sorry for the thread drift Ron. Phil You are obviously in the game. can you answer a question for me. I have a G50 to Corvette set up, I made new axles and half shafts to suit a CV that is identical to the G50, Its from a Holden Comodore or the same car in the UK is called a Vaxhall. I have made these from CV's that plunge from both ends , that is the axle is fully floating. Some say this is a bad Idea and some say otherwise. Would anyone like to comment

A lot of people don't like them because sometimes the shaft can resonate and shoot up and down which causes rapid wear (and it's noisy). To be honest, both our CV's plunge on our car too - and the shaft slides on the splines as well - never had a problem with it, but then I'm not sure we'd notice, given they're doing that anyway - I'm afraid that where the crossover into road stuff dies down a bit ;)
The only thing we do run is some little urethane 'bump stops' almost, in the CV joints themselves, to take out some of the shock if one end of the shaft hits full extension with any force.

I have actually seen a fully floating setup on a front wheel drive FIAT out of the factory - they used a rubber mass damper on the driveshaft to stop the resonance, cheap, light and easy to fit, but it might be trial and error getting the position and size right.
I'd run it and see what happens, I'd say it'll probably be fine, if you do get vibration, or fretting on the circlip (I assume the shaft is circliped in?), then you'll need to have a look at damping it or it'll pull the shaft out at some point. Even something as silly as thicker CV boots might help.

Thanks for that Phil. Yes they are circliped at both ends. Urethane bump stops, Good Idea:idea:. I have room at each end of the axle and I can make them just big enough so the axle has movement through the suspenssion travel and a bit of play. Weather they were needed or not that will be real piece of mind:thumbsup:
Cheers Woody.

Hello, I'm not building a GT40 but I am building a flat 6 air cooled mid-engined, tubular steel space framed, carbon fibre bodied pre-73 Porsche 911. During my research this forum keeps coming up as the font of all knowledge of Porsche G50 gearboxes used in mid-engined installations.

As your excellent forum has helped answered a few of my questions I thought I would join the fun and contribute where I can.

I'm using a G50 6 speed gearbox with 930 CV joints as these joints seem to be bullet proof, they are a straight bolt fit to my output shafts and early Porsche 928 Wheel hubs. Also they are readily available in race prepared spec. with looser tolerances to allow more extreme angles and machined cooling fins on the housing.

One of the challenges I'm facing is getting enough driveshaft sweep to position the engine far enough rearward so am interested in threads like this one and other G50 threads.

Last edited:
Back