Porsche 996 or 997?

Hello everyone
what are the differences between the 2 and which one am I better of going with out of the 2?
hp will be in the range of 500-600.
thanks

Neil

Supporter
I'm not sure what you're asking, but the Porsche 996 rear suspension geometry is what I used in my homebuilt. I used the 996 forged aluminum uprights and fabricated the 5-link geometry with swaged tubes and rod end bearings. I found that the stock geometry bump steer was a bit off and I had to move the original Porsche inboard pick-up points slightly to correct the error. I suspect that Porsche located those points to compensate for the deflection of their stock rubber joints. The spherical rod end bearings did not deflect under load. I know very little about the 997.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but the Porsche 996 rear suspension geometry is what I used in my homebuilt. I used the 996 forged aluminum uprights and fabricated the 5-link geometry with swaged tubes and rod end bearings. I found that the stock geometry bump steer was a bit off and I had to move the original Porsche inboard pick-up points slightly to correct the error. I suspect that Porsche located those points to compensate for the deflection of their stock rubber joints. The spherical rod end bearings did not deflect under load. I know very little about the 997.
I just realized i did not mention transaxle as Thats what i was referring to. Not sure which one is better to use and the differences.
Joe

Kyle

Supporter
I believe the 996 is the G96 transaxle. If that’s correct, I’m not a fan. I have it in my SLC. Notorious for 2nd gear pop outs, hard to get into 2nd and first at times. Cruising RPM at 70 is averaging 2500 rpm with an LS. Good news is they are super cheap, parts aren’t terrible and most people are holding 450-500hp just fine. If you do have 2nd gear synchro issues you can replace it yourself if you’re relatively mechanically inclined. I have one in my car and another laying around.

Sean S.

Supporter
Not sure if this will help you. But CMS has all the specs for them.

The gear ratios don't look very good to me.

Last edited:
Back