Powerlite RAC407 starter motor

Ed McClements

Supporter
Hi all

I am just test-fitting this unit to my 302 / adaptor plate / UN-1 combination, and it fouls the engine block...just slightly. I'll try and get a photo later, but has anyone else had to relieve the block to get one of these units to fit correctly?

Thanks,

Eddy

Ed McClements

Supporter
Here's the issue - the motor body contacts the block at A, before the machined aluminium housing fits into the adaptor plate recess at B:-

1591279915263.png

49970109341_a02b7cba86_o.jpg

49970377292_d6d3dd1bda_o.jpg

Neil

Supporter
It would be far easier to grind a bit off that aluminum mounting ear than off the cast iron block. You should still have plenty aluminum left for bolt thread engagement.

I'm very curious how you find this RAC407 starter-motor. I have a CAV GT40 with a starter that I hate. it is weak, it fails frequently and just looking for something much beefier.
i've been recommended to use this RAC407 a few times before, but getting it here in South Africa is a nightmare.

Neil

Supporter
Jazz, also check your battery to starter wiring to see if it can handle the current.

I checked with IMI to find out the current required by my mini-starter and based on that information I wired the starter with #6 AWG. The starter never spun the engine very fast and struggled to get up to a decent RPM to start my 383 Donovan. I found that the current quoted to me was the running current, not the starting current which was much higher. I replaced the #6 AWG with #0 AWG and it made a huge difference.

Ed McClements

Supporter
Bit bigger cos I know eddys getting on in years now:):)

Oooh...you are saucy!

hqdefault.jpg

Bill was, of course, correct. Simply remove the two socket-head screws, rotate the starter in the aluminium adapter and replace the screws. Now I know where my starter cable and solenoid cable need to be located (currently drawing up the loom).

Back