Price increase

No doubt the SPF is a great car, but with the options, a Roush 427 & ZF + installation, you're pushing $100K at the new price point. Then you get the pleasure of getting it registered via DMV, SB100, BAR & CHP. I've done it with a Factory Five Cobra and let me tell you, its not a fun process.

I guess what I'm saying is that at the new century price point, I think I'm inclined to wait for a Ford GT with some mileage to be a better choice for me. I am sure that with all the new cars becoming available over the next few years that the GT prices will fall. I wouldn't mind owning a GT with 20-30K miles and getting a break off MSRP. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my Cobra.

it looks to me as if SPF has priced it appropriatly--all cars spoken for with a waiting list. the question would be ,why would you not raise the price? The SPF car evidently represents a good value to many people and to those that it does not ,you have some good alternatives. I hope this forum does not start to act like the Factory Five forum and try to find every reason to belittle a top of the line product such as SPF to make you feel better about whatever other product you may have chosen. It is what it is-the most accurate replica available with excellent factory support at a premium price.

Chuck,
Great point. I hope you didn't take my Factory Five comment wrong. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a SPF Cobra instead of the FFR. It is a much better value. Yes you read it right-Value. It is much better made than any FFR I have seen-and I've seen hundreds. The fiberglass body and interior are amazing on the SPF. Sadly, I have spent about $50 on my FFR and would be lucky to get $30 or $35 for it. It is a nice build as FFR's go, but the resale market just isn't there for FFRs.

So please don't misunderstand my point regarding the registration process of either kit or replicars.

actually Paul my post had nothing to do with your comments. I think you are right about the pain for California residents and registration, and when the replicas start to approach Ford GT prices it makes sense to consider the latter. I was refering to the Factory Five forum and not the car,as I feel the FFR cobra is nice. It is just that the FFR forum tends to try to tear down any other product to justify theirs and it gets tiresome. I do not own any SPF products but I do recognise value when I see it as you do also. chuck

chuck 1 said:
it looks to me as if SPF has priced it appropriatly--all cars spoken for with a waiting list. the question would be ,why would you not raise the price? The SPF car evidently represents a good value to many people . . . . .
IMO Chuck has it right. What SPF has done is just good business. In a free-market economy the purpose of a business is to make money, not to cheaply satisfy the lusts of those that would buy their products.

Still, we should look at our cups as being half-full rather than half-empty: Even with the price increase (plus the costs of the engine, driveline and installation), the car will still be 10's of thousands of dollars cheaper than the cheapest Ferarri or Lamborghini --- and will be a de facto race car (rather than a high-performance sports car) and be faster --- probably much faster if you go with an aluminum-block 427.

Back