Proud new owner

All,

Have just returned home after purchasing a GTD. 10 yrs old, 302, Renault 'box, granada brakes, etc, (a stock GTD kit?).... with less than 3000 miles on the clock...

It needs some work & an MOT before it's roadworthy & the some serious attention to get it trackworthy....

Having only driven it 'round the block & reversed it in the garage I've discovered the gearchange set-up is worse than crap & the steering feels 'dead', but it sounds awesome & has more 'torque' than Murray Walker!!

Anyone got any tips for setting up the cable gearchange? (other than rip it out!)

The current plan is to enjoy driving it for a week or so & then pull it apart for a ground-up rebuild!

hi julian,

glad to hear you have joined the happy throng. If i have to be honest, i would remove the cable change and replace it with a fixed rod linkage. this will give you a much more positive feel and will never really need lubricated or adjusted. I know it may seem like a bit of a waste to remove the cables - but I was in the same situation as you when I got mine and the advice I was given was the same. I have now sorted out a rod linkage and it works well and was very inexpensive to manufacture. I f you deiced to go this route then I can send you some more information. Good luck !

Mark,
thanks for your advice! I would greatly appreciate any info you may have to hand on a rod change. could you mail me off list? [email protected]

Now I've had chance to really climb over the car, I'm keen to do a 'bare bones' rebuild, incorpirating a few chassis mods, rod change being one of them.

Just this afternoon I got the car thru an MOT, so am off to get some tax & get a few miles in!

MWGT40

Supporter
I was also advised to go the rod gearchange route by GTD owners who clearly know what they are doing and are racing their cars competitively.

My car is going in for around two weeks worth of modifications tomorrow - one of the modifications being performed is the rod gearchange in fact.

Back