purchasing a gtd40 info required

hi guys i am looking at buying a gtd40 and need some info on them regarding gearbox,this particular car i am told has a renault r30 gearbox ,it is a 4speed and some one said it was a r20 ,how do i tell ,,,the car has been titled a 1966
gt40 in america ,it now is in sydney ..if anybody has info on this car please let me know as i really want to buy it but i am gt40 ignorrant

thanks glenn i would attatch pics but i dont know how if some one can tell me how i will thanks again

I'm assuming that would be the GTD that has been on ebay for ages and ages.

Forget about the titled date...this is not relevent. It's the real manufacture date that is important in Aus. Doesn't matter what engineers report says etc etc, if it ever has to go to transport authority they will look at the manufacture date for compliance.

With that GTD, you could possibly be looking at a whole lot of trouble with compliance. I'm not saying you will, but it's certainly a risk. I know the seller says it's complianced etc etc. But you won't know for certain until it visits a transport authority, if it ever does.

It will also always be more difficult to sell as GTD's are rare and really an unknown quantity in Aus.

Personally I think you would be much better off with a local product. We have two here - Roaring Forties & DRB(GT40 Australia). Roaring Forties is currently in receivership, so that puts a little downer on them, but I imagine the new owner will provide support/parts to existing cars. DRB is very solid and what can I say, that's what I went for. You can find these fairly regulary 2nd hand.

Also the local products have had a lot more development than that GTD ever had. And the development is continuing, meaning you can always retrofit improvements as they come.

That GTD could be a very good vehicle and a great buy. But it certainly has it's risks.

Last edited:
hi craig do you know of any for sale?give me a call 0412740116
live in melb will travell to buy one

Last edited:
Personally don't know of any GT40's for sale. But I'm sure there are.

If you haven't, scour the car sale Mags(Unique Cars etc) & car sales web sites - www.carpoint.com.au & www.carsales.com.au etc.

I would also call or email Peter Ransom. www.gt40australia.com He may know of some 2nd hand vehicles for sale.

I haven't been paying paticular attention to cars that are for sale, so will ask around for you.

Be definitely worth catching up with club etc down there to see a few cars and talk to members. Up in QLD it's easy to see GT40's. GT40 Australia has sausage sizzle first Saturday of Month at factory. Cobra Club also has breakfast meeting at Sanctuary Cove the same weekend, first Sunday of month.

Hi craig, it looks like a r30 gearbox. Send a pic, i can tell about it. i ve much technical information about 4/5 speed trans.
Warmest Regards
Thomas Hermsen

gtd40

thomas i found out that it is a r20 4 speed gearbox...
is this box a strong unit or should i up grade to a 5 speed box,
i should also mention that it is on ebay for sale(i have made an offer on it just waiting for a reply........

Its not realy a strong gearbox (r20/4). If yr engine has more than 300 Nm torque, may be best you ve an interest on a Renault UN1 with stronger different-drive. If you need more information about, selling one of UN1 or technical drawings, please, let me know. Warmest Regards Thomas

Back