question for GT40 producers

well, consider I dont have such technical skilling to aswer myself to this question, but I just wonder why manifacturers dont try to supply all the 4 versions(or 6..including Mirage and spyder version) of the 40.

I've noted almost all have the 302 or 351 engine, and thats enough for the cars, so is so hard to provide body variants for such historic cars?.
Mk1 is probably the most request,also the mk2 surely has a great appeal, from our pool also the "civil" mk3 has some fan, and Jim monster is loved by almost all.

Maybe is a nut question, but think can be easy to do at least all the basic 4 versions in catalogues (but maybe I am wong..and so I ask u).

Maybe a little different is modify the cockpit are to have a different profile as the Mirage has or even worst, delete the top as spyder had.

Just curious..;)

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Paolo, I have often wondered about that - I guess it all comes down to economics & trying to standardise production/parts. With such low volume production runs, it would be quite hard to cater for all the "slightly" different parts associated with each model.

In a similar way, I have also wondered why a space-frame manufacturer hasn't come up with a "universal chassis" - something that could be used as the basis of all the GT40 variants, and also some others, like :

- Lola GT
- Lola Spyder
- Matich SR2
- McLaren M8
- Chapparell
- Ferrari P4
- Etc ....

I am guessing here, but I don't think that it would be impossible to come up with a chassis that could be used for any/all of them - just tick a box & the suspension points & body-mounts could be tailored to the desired car. Drape the appropriate body over it & voila !

I am sure that there is not much more than a few inches difference between the key chassis dimensions of all the 60's & 70's mid-engine cars that we all love.

Once you move away from serious mono replicas like Fran's, etc, a spaceframe is just an approximate replica - so what, if the underlying chassis is a compromise (it already is) - as long as the fundamental dimensions are correct & the body is right, few would know or care !

Just a thought.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

that is exactly my idea...just maybe possible for similar cars (in measures).
I dunno how much larger can be a Mk4 from an mk1, but surely if we talk about gt40s, the mirages and the spyder are not so far away.

I thought this looking (as everyday I do:D) at Fran website, and sometime look at the similitudes between Lolas and gt chassis.
In the past I remember I read about forum members with different body parts to have at least an mk2 version available.

Think can be a cool option (if posible)to keep alive also in replica also the other wonderful versions of the 40 (usually gelcoat body parts are not so expensive)

Paolo,
From point of view, I've been making fiberglass race car bodies since 1965, getting a body to cast a mould off of is tough, especially rare race cars like the GT40 and the Porshe 917. Shaping one out from scratch is a time consuming ordeal and may not come out exactly like the original. There is a ton of work to be done to an existing body to get it ready to cast a mould off it.
One of the biggest obstacles in producing a body, is the windshield. Plus all the little parts that make a car unique is a challenge.
When I was shaping out the body of the Cobra Daytona Coupe for Factory Five, I suggested the idea of making a chassis that could be used for all mid engined race cars, but they didn't go for it. When I was involved with Fran Hall in helping him get started, he thought it was a great idea.... and we know where he has gone with it. He is on his way to making all the mid engined race great cars possibly.

Paolo:

ERA makes several versions of both the MKI and MKII. The MKII is available as a "spyder" as raced originally at Sebring. See: Era Replica Automobiles' ERA GT, a Ford GT Replica in kit or turn-key

Producing any new product, even a variation on an existing produce is, for a small company, a big undertaking. There is also the aspect of customer "demand". While it is nice to be able to afford to produce a "speculation" version of the car and hope that the market will come to it, given the capital outlay, that is not realistic for most companies. After all, how many MkIIIs will they be able to sell given the time and expense to engineer and fabricate almost totally different body work, inner panels and modify sub frames to make a comprehensive project?

Jim

Jim ,

I absolutely agree......

I dont think many people realise how much time and money everyone of these cars costs to develop.

was anyway just to ask,because with (maybe,and according from this seems absolutely not) a minor investiment u can have available all the version of gt40 produced.

Sure..if the demand is SO inesistent maybe better leave at once also only the idea...

Btw, ERA cars in website look really awesome

I'd like to put this front end on a Mark 2 or Gulf if it didn't look weird (clip fits with doors/windshield etc..). I think the head lights look better than the rectangle..

Attachments

• gt40 road.jpg
    gt40 road.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 484
  • gt40 road front end.jpg
    gt40 road front end.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 514
  • GT40, street.jpg
    GT40, street.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 511
  • gt40 headlight.jpg
    gt40 headlight.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 485
yes,..also the mk3 is a nice version.
Think Rob Beddington blue gt had both body options,

Is anyway possible use the rear Mk2 body part on mk1's, without majior modify? (if I had a 40 will buy also that clip:D to have a different car sometimes)

Paolo, The roof, doors and side pods ( rocker panels ) are all the same on the MKI, MKII and the MKIII. The nose and tail should be able to be changed back and forth. There might be some little changes to the inner ducts on the tail, but they should fit OK. One weekend you could look like a MKI and a MKII the next, then change to a MKIII on the following weekend. They all would have to be the same color though!

Paolo, The roof, doors and side pods ( rocker panels ) are all the same on the MKI, MKII and the MKIII. The nose and tail should be able to be changed back and forth. There might be some little changes to the inner ducts on the tail, but they should fit OK. One weekend you could look like a MKI and a MKII the next, then change to a MKIII on the following weekend. They all would have to be the same color though!

:pepper: say what u want...but all this sounds too cool...:D

Back