Question for LS7-Ricardo folks

Especially you SLC guys, are you planning to run a separate oil cooler? How about a tranny cooler? Most of the GT guys run a transaxle cooler if they are on track at all. Seems like an oil cooler would be a good idea also.

Ford Racing and Cooltech make tranny coolers for the Ricardo. Not sure what I would use as an oil cooler for the LS7. Suggestions welcome.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I don't own either, but I'll give my opinion anyways. :thumbsup:

An oil cooler would probably be best placed from the dry-sump oil can to the engine. That way the engine gets a freshly cooled oil supply.

As for the transaxle cooler, I believe Fran has those in stock and usually has them attached to the transaxles when he sells them if you're using a high HP drivetrain. But they normally have a sort of integral pump or external pump (I can't remember which) that circulates the transaxle fluid through the cooler. From what I hear, that's all that's needed to make these transaxles hold massive torque & HP loads.

But as I said, I'm not the expert, just offering some advise from experiences I've had.

We did do a pretty cool thing for a customer who didn't like the fact that his supercharger (and later turbocharger) were getting hot engine oil. We installed an oil cooler in the oil feed line to the supercharger. There was plenty of pressure and the unit never starved of oil. It also helped decrease the temperature on the head unit drastically. I honestly can't remember the exact temperature number, but it did help quite a bit more than we thought initially. Later on the turbocharger setup, we were able to leave just about everything the same, still have no oil starvation issues and everything is working perfectly. Very nice 700+ hp Mustang...

Anyway, I'll let the experts speak now.

Laters,

Brian

We make a oil cooler system for the LS7 that has been tested and passed with flying colors on the track.

Ernie

Back