Question for UK hill climbers...

G

I can see I am going to get indegestion on Sunday at our christmas lunch as you guys are really going to rip into me! Buggers! And now you are encouraging the US boys. Oh how brilliant!

A few things....

Brian, me lovely mate in the states, you did,'t eat us out of house and home....not quite!

Paul, Jules and I pulled the gear box out last night. I am convinced it is ok. The clutch plate is also in one piece. So what went wrong at Brighton? I think parts of the spigot bearing, which is now in many many peices got in between the friction plate and flywheel and gouged a junk of pad material which then stuck the clutch and flywheel together. Another bit of bearing did the same to pressure plate and friction plate. Result, clutch wouldn't disengage so couldn't change gear. Gonna clean it all up, refit it all and next year I'm gonna whip your arse! Ha.

Malcolm

G

Jay,

WE first saw the car when competing at Loton Park Hill Climb where the then owner was competing too. Got chatting and said we liked it. Bumped into him at other events over the next two years and then he wanted to upgrade to a Lotus 59/69. He found his car so needed to sell this one. 6 months of haggling and a deal was struck.

It is a 1968 Lotus 51c which is a Formula Ford. This formula only began in 1967 and the 51a was the first ever FF car in production. The FIA papers with this car show that it has been through about 7 owners and was for a while taken to Germany where it was made to look like a Lotus 22 (about £15,000 more value). It was allowed to race in historic events there and then one day that circus came to Brands Hatch in UK. A lotus expert really disappointed the owner by revealing the true identity of the car. Credit to the owner as he took it on the chin. He put in an FF engine and took out the twin cam (shame) but left it with a 22 body. It came back to the UK and soon ended up in our garage.

Wendy is the just the right size for the car but I am a bit too long. Wendy is just a bit too short for the 40 but it is perfect for me. The 51 is very good to drive and Wendy really can fly in it.

The last owner has changed the FF engine to a another 1600 engine but a full blown dry sumped all steel job. Revs to 8500 rpm and has 160 bhp. With only 400 KG to move that is 400 bhp per tonne. My 40 only has 300 bhp per tonne.

What is intended is to change the tyres (and rims) to use some Dunlop Post Historic tyres. These will be 12 inch wide rears and 10 inch fronts. Then it will look even better. However have kept all original parts so can convert back to full FF spec at the drop of a hat.

At present its top speed is only 130 mph as the gearing is not high. However with a little tinkering it should be possible for about 175 mph.

At Goodwood I have already done a 1 min 33 sec lap. With better gearing that should tumble. However me and gearbox rebuilds don't mix so maybe this won't happen for a while yet!

Wendy is going to compete in this car on the hills. However our first bambino on the way has delayed things a bit (got the 51 in the garage in the nick of time) but we are aiming for 3rd August as her first event next year.

The 40 and the 51 make a nice pair in the garage.

Malcolm

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Think a trip to England is a good idea. I'll wait till it's a little better golf weather.

We would be looking at either the Can Am or Spyder. The GTR looks awfully cramped.

Thanks again.

Keith

Back