RCR flywheel choice with G50 gear box

Just curious what you guys are using for the flywheel? Can you use a 157 tooth ford flywheel or are you required to use a custom flywheel? Fran has offered to hook me up with the custom setup. I am starting to put together my 331 parts list. I figure I can start to assemble the engine while I wait for the car to arrive. Truth be told, this is my only outlet to talk GT40's! The household is already a little tired of GT40 talk....

Thanks!

Jim,

its a custom piece that accepts a Porsche clutch and mounts to a Ford crankshaft...I just ordered one today for another customer...3-4 weeks lead time at present

Jim,
Kennedy Engineering in California makes all the adapter plates/flywheels/clutches etc. to mate sbf to porsche transmissions. They have a website I think, its been awhile. Cost for everything was around 2k or so. You do need to tell them how your motor is balanced though..... Scott

Howard Jones

Supporter
Be sure to have the flywheel, clutch, and dampner in hand before you balance the engine parts. Then have everything balanced together.

I got my flywheel, clutch, and throwout bearing from California Motor Sports, but I think the flywheel came from Kenedy. Both have web sites.

Talked to somebody at Kennedy tonight. Very good information. Not that cheap but good information!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

Just out of curiosity, is Kennedy recommending a Porsche 930/132 tooth ring gear and a starter (HiTorque) with a ten tooth pinion gear? (that's what is in my G50)

Tim

Anytime Jim! There are lots of sources for parts, and some are definately more cost effective than others............ Feel free to send a pm if you need any other help, Scott

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
As Howard says --you need the flywheel first for Ford motors and be sure of the imbalance, eg 28oz, 50oz, or neutral.
As for the starter, try and use the Porsche starter over the after market ones --it is made for the job !
Should look something like this :-
(the adapter plate for an RCR has chassis mount lugs)

Attachments

• adapter insts. G50 002 (Small).jpg
    adapter insts. G50 002 (Small).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 490
  • adapter insts. G50 005 (Small).jpg
    adapter insts. G50 005 (Small).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 499
  • adapter insts. G50 006 (Small).jpg
    adapter insts. G50 006 (Small).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 668
  • Picture 200.jpg
    Picture 200.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 506
Tim,

I'm shooting for around 450 HP and it was recommended that I use the 11 lbs flywheel and their clutch custom setup. I need to find out the year of the G50 that Fran is selling me. Evidently the the 87-90 G50 use a different flywheel than the 90 and newer unit. I think the turbo setup was overkill for my application (torque).

Scott, thanks again. I may take you up on your offer!

Chris, thanks for the photos.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

Back around 2005 when I originally had my G50/52 set up, the recommendation was to shorten the bell-housing by 1 inch and machine a small amount out of the inside of the bell-housing for clearance to use a 930 ring gear. Tilton then machined a custom flywheel / ring gear mated to a two disc carbon clutch.

I've had issues with Tilton's engineering and machining of the flywheel from the beginning (long story, but the flywheel and ring gear is a billet machined one piece unit). Finally, a month ago the ring gear developed enough damage that I've had to machine off the old teeth and weld on a new 930 ring gear.

I wasn't aware of an early vs late model G50 and what difference there is between the two but from what I've gathered, for this match up, Kennedy sells a 132 tooth ring gear matched to a 10 tooth starter. I say "from what I've gathered" because it seems no one will give me a direct answer when asked for specifics e.g. What's the difference between a 930 & G50 ring gear, nobody seems to know!

Chris, when you say stick to a Porsche starter, do you happen to know the Porsche part number? Based on your pictures above it's a short throw pinion as opposed to the long nose. I would be interested to know what tooth count your ring gear and starter pinion gear are.

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread Jim but I think this information will be helpful to you.

Tim

Attachments

• Flywheel2.jpg
    Flywheel2.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 293
  • flywheelcltutch1.jpg
    flywheelcltutch1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 315

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
we use :- starter 911 604 101 01 , 9 tooth and 1.5 hp
ring gear 950 116 143 01 (looks like 132 tooth )

Attachments

• SR68X.jpg
    SR68X.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
No worries... I'm learning!

Jim,

Back around 2005 when I originally had my G50/52 set up, the recommendation was to shorten the bell-housing by 1 inch and machine a small amount out of the inside of the bell-housing for clearance to use a 930 ring gear. Tilton then machined a custom flywheel / ring gear mated to a two disc carbon clutch.

I've had issues with Tilton's engineering and machining of the flywheel from the beginning (long story, but the flywheel and ring gear is a billet machined one piece unit). Finally, a month ago the ring gear developed enough damage that I've had to machine off the old teeth and weld on a new 930 ring gear.

I wasn't aware of an early vs late model G50 and what difference there is between the two but from what I've gathered, for this match up, Kennedy sells a 132 tooth ring gear matched to a 10 tooth starter. I say "from what I've gathered" because it seems no one will give me a direct answer when asked for specifics e.g. What's the difference between a 930 & G50 ring gear, nobody seems to know!

Chris, when you say stick to a Porsche starter, do you happen to know the Porsche part number? Based on your pictures above it's a short throw pinion as opposed to the long nose. I would be interested to know what tooth count your ring gear and starter pinion gear are.

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread Jim but I think this information will be helpful to you.

Tim

Back