RCR GT-40 Dashboard

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Hi Jim,
Working in the auto industry all those years, we always called this thing the Instrument Panel, because that's where the instruments were housed. But, for some reason it's called the Dash on the GT40, and so I bow to that. Anyway, enough for an automotive history lesson and back to your question. Are you talking about the fitment of the Dash itself, or the placement of the Instruments & switches in it? The fitment, of course depends on which roll bar/cage you have. Instrument placement would depend on how original you want it to look. Lots of build pics and help with all of that on this forum. Ask and you shall receive...
Rod

Hi Rod, Actually dashboard is an old terms for the curved wooden protector on the 1890’s to 1910’s. It keep the dash (horse poop) off of you. And this term lasted until now. Yes, instruments were added later. I am looking for pics as well as someone to talk on the phone with. It’ll take forever using these threads. I have the track day cage. I am wondering what you do with the indentation on the top of the panel. I’ve cut the mold waste and am in the rough fitting portion. The roll cage is off right now (I am working the engine). Which forum has the information and pics? It’s nice to meet you.

Louis

Supporter
Hi Jim!

Has anyone sent you pictures or explanations? I have the roll cage as well and cut my dash to be removed with the roll cage in place. I also fiberglassed a lip on the spider and glassed an extension on the dash that slips in the lip. This way the front of the dash is supported.

I have several pictures of the original P1015 at the Carroll Shelby Museum for reference if you like.
Louis

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Louis,
Jim & I talked over the phone and I sent him a few pics of what I did with my dash panel. Everything fits nice & cozy although it is an absolute bugger to get it in and out along with the roll cage. Your mod sounds interesting. Let's see some pics of both yours & the P1015.
Rod

Attachments

• DashReWrk1.jpg
    DashReWrk1.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 170
  • DashReWrk2.jpg
    DashReWrk2.jpg
    966.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Interior3.jpg
    Interior3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 168

Louis

Supporter
Hi Rod!

Attached are a few pictures. The first pic shows the fabricated lip on the spider and the fabricated dash extension. That dash extension slips into the lip and supports the front of the dash. On the 3rd picture you see an extension on the side of the dash. I will make a piece to fit in the space in front of the roll bar. It will be supported by the lip on the spider and on that side extension and hopefully it will all look nice with one seam. This way I can pull the dash with the roll bar in place and at the same time the dash looks like it runs from roll bar to roll bar.

Louis
Support Lip for Dash.jpg

Dash in Place.jpg

Dash Shelf.jpg

Hi Jim!

Has anyone sent you pictures or explanations? I have the roll cage as well and cut my dash to be removed with the roll cage in place. I also fiberglassed a lip on the spider and glassed an extension on the dash that slips in the lip. This way the front of the dash is supported.

I have several pictures of the original P1015 at the Carroll Shelby Museum for reference if you like.
Louis
Thx Rod!

Back