RCR GT40 REAR WINDOW

Kim Haun

Supporter
I’m thinking about using safety glass as my rear window instead of the plexiglass supplied with my RCR GT40. My reason is to cut down on heat and noise in the cockpit. Who has experience in using real glass in this application? What type of glass did you use? How thick? Since the mounting of the plexiglass required drilling through the plexiglass, how did you mount your glass panel? Thank you for your replies and advice!

Kim

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Kim, check post # 101 on my build. I used proper tempered glass. It all worked very well. That said I don't think you'l gain much re sound and heat other than the glass will stay clear and easy to clean.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Rick Muck on here is a Superformance dealer in USA
he hid some Double glazed units to cut down noise, not sure if they will swap to an RCR bulhhead

ian

I’m thinking about using safety glass as my rear window instead of the plexiglass supplied with my RCR GT40. My reason is to cut down on heat and noise in the cockpit. Who has experience in using real glass in this application? What type of glass did you use? How thick? Since the mounting of the plexiglass required drilling through the plexiglass, how did you mount your glass panel? Thank you for your replies and advice!

Kim
You can get glass from RCR. I ordered mine with it. There is no drilling of the glass required - the aluminum frame and bolts capture the glass. I ordered it for noise reduction, but the car is loud regardless (I wear earplugs). - Alan.

Kim Haun

Supporter
You can get glass from RCR. I ordered mine with it. There is no drilling of the glass required - the aluminum frame and bolts capture the glass. I ordered it for noise reduction, but the car is loud regardless (I wear earplugs). - Alan.

Kim Haun

Supporter
I see what you mean by the bolts capturing the glass. I found a guy here that can make the glass I want. I thought about using two 3/16” pieces with safety lamination in between.I didn’t know if that was going to be too thick. It will be approaching 7/16”. How thick was the glass you got from RCR?

Kim

Kim. I’m not able to get a measurement of the glass thickness without taking things apart. I would reach out to Bill at RCR. - Alan

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I wouldn't make my own laminate as I don' think you'l get it together well enough. Plexy is better for sound deadening. Yes 3/8 plus is way to thick. 3/16, if you want glass is thick enough. an inside frame and an outside frame with foam tape on the steel bulkhead making up thickness and a seal worked well. Any glass shop can cut your glass.

Kim
Hi Kim- My car had a glass rear window. It is currently in the paint shop. The glass guy came in and broke the glass when he tried to remove it. I am going to go with plastic to replace. I felt that the glass is significantly heavier. Also you need a purpose built glass as the window will need a slight crown in it to fit correctly.
Another down side might be if you have webers and they backfire, they may scorch the plastic. Don't know if this is a real issue.
So, weight vs durability.
Good luck
ph

Kim Haun

Supporter
Thanks for the input everybody. Gonna go with the plexi for now.I might have to notch it to fit under my roll bar which would be difficult with the glass. I’ll decide down the road if I want to go with the glass. Cheers!

Neil is correct about using Lexan for the cockpit or engine cover windows if plastic is used. It is the only plastic that will take the heat of the engine and not deform. Hard-coated lexan (MR10 or Mar-Guard) is worth the extra cost for scratch resistance.

Back