RCR T70 in the UK

Ed McClements

Supporter
Eddy how could you post such a horrific picture. How they could have done that to an Aston and it reminds me of the cruelty they dished out to the Miura and E type. :( You have undone years of therapy ;)

Don't worry Nick...they squished the soft-top slightly (easily replaced) then pushed a fake Aston over the cliff. Check out the movie trivia sites.

Neil

Supporter
Slightly off topic but the IVA test is not as onerous as it sounds. Occasionally you can get an unhelpful jobsworth, but in the main and in my case they want to help you get through it. As Mike Pass one of my "team" helping me through it so succinctly put it, if it fails which many times it does, you get your list of failure points work through it, put it in for another test. If it fails again you work through your smaller list and repeat the process until there is nothing on the list.

I have no problem with the safety checks, some of the points like the toggle switches are a pain but not really a restriction of freedom. Any modern car you drive today has had to conform to a set of rules, the guards on the modern Mini a prime example.

Link below if you have access has some examples of cars submitted for IVA that failed. They may have passed in Arizona but you have more room over there to take avoiding action than we do ;)

Take a look at this:

5.1 How exterior projections are inspected

DVSA will look for sharp edges that could cause injury to a pedestrian.

Not allowed: tape wrapped round 'non radiused' edges.

If a pedestrian managed go get all the way into contact with this part, its "sharp" edge would be the least of his worries.

Many of those regulations are good as recommendations but as requirements too many are Draconian. How did these regulations come into being? Were they voted on by the public or simply foisted on you by bureaucrats?

Neil

Supporter
The IVA in the UK is primarily concerned with safety. Cars are inspected to make sure they are safe to use on the street with other traffic. They check for things like wires chaffing, brake pipe routing and security.
You may not like it Neil, but how would you feel if a member of your family was killed or injured due to a home built car’s brakes failing because the pipe had fractured and lost all the brake fluid? When you know the inspection had been as superficial as you describe?
These rules are in place not just to protect you, but to protect people FROM you.
The IVA in the UK has brought the build level of “kit car” builds up across the board.
This is not intended as a slight on you or your build, rather those that might cobble something together and be driving it around.
Simon

"You may not like it Neil, but how would you feel if a member of your family was killed or injured due to a home built car’s brakes failing because the pipe had fractured and lost all the brake fluid?..."

Simon, I would feel just as bad as if a member of my family was killed by a criminal breaking into her house and her not being able to own a gun to protect herself.

I guess we differ on how much the government should be allowed to "protect us from harm". At some point we need to protect ourselves from such a government. Wait, this is sounding familiar...."When in the Course of human events, ..." 1776. :)

Take a look at this:

5.1 How exterior projections are inspected

DVSA will look for sharp edges that could cause injury to a pedestrian.

Not allowed: tape wrapped round 'non radiused' edges.'non radiused' edges.

If a pedestrian managed go get all the way into contact with this part, its "sharp" edge would be the least of his worries.

Many of those regulations are good as recommendations but as requirements too many are Draconian. How did these regulations come into being? Were they voted on by the public or simply foisted on you by bureaucrats?
Neil,

Don't what to clog up Chris's build thread with noise so guess we will have to agree to disagree. You are right about the pedestrian if they got that far, however the solution suggested by the authorities in my opinion is a good one, as it actually looks a lot neater and is hardly draconian, but each to their own

Attachments

• iva-exterior-projections-16.jpg
    iva-exterior-projections-16.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 569
Just finished the prototype gear linkage for the RCR70. I’m using the T70 Right hand gear shift for authenticity so had to devise a linkage that flipped pull to push and left to right to work with the G50 box. Works a treat, even reverse! now going to make it all from steel.

Attachments

• 1CB68BA5-25A4-4932-9546-D01D533E3922.jpeg
    1CB68BA5-25A4-4932-9546-D01D533E3922.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 474
  • 5BBF2659-DDFD-405D-97F0-0B9BCAFF6FC7.jpeg
    5BBF2659-DDFD-405D-97F0-0B9BCAFF6FC7.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 373
  • E37BFB78-54BA-45C7-9A62-EF73AA69DA32.jpeg
    E37BFB78-54BA-45C7-9A62-EF73AA69DA32.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 468
  • 8CC0D960-9F1F-4EA6-AE9E-47128F375965.jpeg
    8CC0D960-9F1F-4EA6-AE9E-47128F375965.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 492

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Looks good Chris

Bit lots of parts that may add slop in the system.

it looks like you are picking up the movement below the pivot on the gearstick.
Could you pick up the movement above the pivot?
Or use a “rifle bolt” type mechanism to start the movement?

Ian

Looks good Chris

Bit lots of parts that may add slop in the system.

it looks like you are picking up the movement below the pivot on the gearstick.
Could you pick up the movement above the pivot?
Or use a “rifle bolt” type mechanism to start the movement?

Ian
Hi Ian, the lever assembly is ‘pure’ lola T70 (original) so I want to keep that ‘as is’. Yes, there are quite a few parts so i may have to ‘refresh’ the spherical bearings from time to time.

Jim Albright

Supporter
Good progress being made on the MK3B replica in the UK... I now have working clutch, gears and brakes! Still trying to connect with other MK3B builders.. anyone out there?!
View attachment 109269View attachment 109270
Hi Chris, I'm waiting on delivery of a turnkey minus Lola from RCR, so my "build"
106489131_2613290365617689_6169185628688836337_n.jpg
will be limited to the engine/transaxle installation and any finishing touches. Your build looks great! Jim

Last edited:
Hoping for the end of October. Having Chad Golen do an LS7 with 8 stack FI by Jim Inglese through a Graz 6 speed.
Wow, that’s going to be quite a thing isn’t it! Presume you’re going centre cable shift? I saw the different cross member on the back so guessed it wasn’t going to be an old skool box... Graz should do the trick shouldn’t it! I’ve made quite a lot more progress on mine so I’ll post some more pics soon .

Jim Albright

Supporter
Wow, that’s going to be quite a thing isn’t it! Presume you’re going centre cable shift? I saw the different cross member on the back so guessed it wasn’t going to be an old skool box... Graz should do the trick shouldn’t it! I’ve made quite a lot more progress on mine so I’ll post some more pics soon .
Yes - I opted for left hand drive and will utilize the billet RCR shifter. I envy you being able to work on your car - I'm 8 months in waiting to get mine into the garage to complete. Looking forward to more pics of your awesome build! By the way - what paint color have you decided on?

hi chris ich habe die schaltung bei meiner lola einfach gefertigt dein schaltstick sieht wie orginal super gemacht aus ich kann aus erfahrung sagen das eine schaltung für ein g 50 getriebe nicht so gut ist und du brauchst ein schaltschema wo deine gänge sind das vergisst man sonst gruß olf

Attachments

• P1030455.JPG
    P1030455.JPG
    362.1 KB · Views: 363
  • P1030463.JPG
    P1030463.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 328
hi chris ich habe die schaltung bei meiner lola einfach gefertigt dein schaltstick sieht wie orginal super gemacht aus ich kann aus erfahrung sagen das eine schaltung für ein g 50 getriebe nicht so gut ist und du brauchst ein schaltschema wo deine gänge sind das vergisst man sonst gruß olf
Hi Olf, yes, I am using an original T70 shift
Lever mechanism. With the real linkage, I now have the ‘correct’ gate pattern... ie 1st is top left and 5th
Is top right. Reverse is hard top left but you have to overcome the detent..

Yes - I opted for left hand drive and will utilize the billet RCR shifter. I envy you being able to work on your car - I'm 8 months in waiting to get mine into the garage to complete. Looking forward to more pics of your awesome build! By the way - what paint color have you decided on?
Just finished plumbing in the ventilation pipes (no aircon in this car....) . I think I’m going to go for red with a white stripe!

Attachments

• 8C4D1BA4-9ED9-4432-9A60-375414A02776.jpeg
    8C4D1BA4-9ED9-4432-9A60-375414A02776.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 8C9A2DF2-6851-4B1A-98E6-2C6E3ADEEB16.jpeg
    8C9A2DF2-6851-4B1A-98E6-2C6E3ADEEB16.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 308
Back