rear view camera set up

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Chuck.......Per your recomendation just bought same model from Pep Boys and will try on a SPF( sending to Olthoff for him to try on his demo car) .....I'm told a SPF MK11 owner tried a rear view camera ( not sure same one) and didn't work due to "harmonics"....no real explination but, perhaps referance to harmonics is the vibrtion introduced due to monting loction ( on the SPF MK11 lisc plate and camera was mounted on pass side rear grill; really only place seems practical to mount on a MK11????) and the grill may be vibrating and causing the camera elex update rate to not keep up? With your positive experience w/ the Pep Boys unit it's worth a try....Do you find the lisc plate lights interfer w/ picture in daytime; how about driving at night ....does it work at all????....CHUCk....TX much for your post.....BIG help to ALL! Steve

Steve,it really does not work at night too well,although backup lights help. I do not know about the mounting point on MK11 cars,but again I have had no problems with vibration or harmonics that I have noticed. I figured at 100 bucks even if it did not work on ther 40 I could use it on my 20ft enclosed trailer to help with backing up. In fact ,I think I wil buy one for that purpose. It is unnerving towing that big thing and not seeing behind you. No interference with the tag lights in the daytime.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Chuck....Tx for f/u post....Hopefully it will work on the SPF too.....btw $ now 125 ( at least up here in Massachusetts).......Tx again Steve

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Chuck...Interesing idea re rubber mt....Not sure why other SPF owner had prob...not sure was same camera system.....w/a after tested....Steve

I picked one up last week, price is up to $120. Still a good deal for a wireless, I think. I'm still figuring out the best mount for the rear as I have a euro plate in the plate recess. Probably have to cut the plate mount tabs and mount it through the pass. side vent area.
Also, as I plan to hook up with the reverse switch, does anyone know about the reverse terminal tab on a Getrag?
Thanks for the great idea, Chuck.

Just throwing this out there,
but what about back up sensors like the ones you see now on most SUV?
I know they sell them at the dealers as a aftermarket add on option.
They come with 4 sensors and a sensor monitor.
You could position the sensors anywhere on the lower rear deck.

I use one from Crimestoppers which is hard wired.
Another available from Costco for $98 by Virtual Reality Video Labs - wireless.

John

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I mounted my rear view camera in a pod, inside the rear cover, directly above the Holley, I have had no problems in the last year and the wide angle view covers from rear corner to corner.

Hi
Just thought we would let you guys have a look at what we do in the UK.

profilepic14121_1.gif

We house the camera in an aluminium casing, cut to the same angle as the rear vent to make sure it is level. It is simply a larger version of the mounting rings that come with the camera as standard. Bonded firmly into the housing, the camera produces no shake and we have had no problems with water splashback, even in rainy old England.

The camera is wired to the mirror, which has a 5" TFT monitor like the second mirror Mark posted, this just clips onto the standard CAV mirror. I don't have the manufacturers name to hand but I can find if people are interested.

The wire runs under the cars interior, including the roofs leather, with the A/V connector coming out at an opening just next to the mirror.

The mirror also has built in speakers and the whole system can come with parking sensors too. When reversing the monitor still works as a camera but also overlays a digital reading of the distance of objects behind.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Chris

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
With the relatively low cost and small size, it seems to me that mirrors should be a thing of the past.

Why not have three cameras? One out the back and one on each side of the car?

On a high line street car I would think the benefits of less drag, less wind noise, and increased view would make this a thing of the future....

The same one I picked up at Pepboys for $120.

So if it's still available, grab it! I works great on the CAV GT.

Back