Recover Seats with Origional Material

Not sure about this but has anyone recovered their seats with more vintage looking material? I have been thinking about making mine look a little more authentic, not sure what material to use or how to get them recovered. Ideas?

In addition, has anyone removed the center section where the key is? Thought about relocating the key to the dash and then removing that area. I like how the CAVs look and I believe it is closer to the original.

Yes... all of this is probably moot on originality since it is LHD but could be interesting.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
...has anyone removed the center section where the key is?

Yes, about 15 minutes ago, after thinking about it for, oh, three years or so. I moved the ignition switch to where the accessory socket is to the left of the steering wheel. You just need to extend the wiring by about a foot (two circuits). Also, the switch hole dia. is 3/4" and the socket hole is somewhat larger, but a big 3/4" ID washer epoxied on the switch spreads the forces out and with a 3/4" toothed lockwasher between that and the back of the panel, the switch can be fixed in position quite nicely.

This still left me with the oil and water capillary tubes and the oil pressure line dropping down from the dash to the center console. If you went all electric with those and routed them around the RH side it's not an issue. In my case I just bundled them up in some black split loom which makes them not too noticeable. In principle I could re-route them along the driver's side but it seemed like too much work for the benefit gained, at least for the time being.

It definitely gives the car more of a "real thing" feeling when sitting in it. Plus, next time you want to get under the console for some reason the resulting disassembly/assembly work is much less.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I like the idea, Kevin. If I had a dime for every grommet that has fallen out and I've had to replace in my Alcantara seats, I'd have....about $1.20. It's a pain. Maybe the leather option seats from Superformance are better.

Rob Klein

Supporter
at one point in my life I was a skydiver, and there is a material for skydiving rigs called para-pac call the sunshine factory in deland florida

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
at one point in my life I was a skydiver, and there is a material for skydiving rigs called para-pac call the sunshine factory in deland florida

Jimbo can tell you everything you need to know about original seats. Also Pathfinder (Alan Peterson) can supply them along with several other options iirc.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I like the idea, Kevin. If I had a dime for every grommet that has fallen out and I've had to replace in my Alcantara seats, I'd have....about $1.20. It's a pain. Maybe the leather option seats from Superformance are better.

I have put alot of miles on my SPF leather option seats and I have not noticed any problems with the grommets.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
......Also Pathfinder (Alan Peterson) can supply them along with several other options iirc.
Kevin,

Alan W is correct, Pathfinder can provide seats in the material you're looking for. (sorry, pics taken in a dark garage)

Attachments

• SPF SEAT 1.jpg
    SPF SEAT 1.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 269
  • SPF SEAT 2.jpg
    SPF SEAT 2.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 309
Back